Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Arrow Solid evidence against reciprocal linking?

I have yet to see any solid evidence against reciprocal linking. The incorrect assumption is that when sites who engage regularly and openly in reciprocal linking (and that is their ownly method of SEO) drop, that it must mean that reciprocal linking is bad, or dangerous.

This is both fallacious logically and, IMHO, likely untrue.

The single thread that ties together most synthetic link building campaigns is the accumulation of a large number of links on the same page --- either an individual has a large number of links on a single page of his/her site, or the sites linking to it have a large number of links on a single page.

This is true of 2-way, 3-way, and x-way campaigns, unless a webmaster is willing to create individual pages with content for each exchange partner (an interesting concept, by the way).

It is much easier, requires much less computing power, and is much more thorough to calculate popularity by the Amount a page can pass divided by the number of outbound links.

This has many other benefits as well, as it naturally discredits Free-For-All linking pages, directory links, guestbook and blog spam, referrer spam, and all of the other nefarious methods of soliciting links that produce a large number of links on the same page.

Does anyone have any solid evidence that reciprocal linking itself is to blame? Additionally, is there any evidence that reciprocal linking actually causes penalties, as opposed to simply being of less value than a natural, one-way link?
  3. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

So you are saying that reciprocal links are not to blame. That it is instead a single page in a site getting too many links pointed at it? Like a home page or links page, etc.? And you further suspect that reciprocal and one-way links are equal in value?

I'm just trying to get clear before I answer.

Comments on this post

• rjonesx agrees : Actually - what I propose is that it is #of links on the same page as the backlink pointing at you. For example, if all of your backlinks are on pages with 50+ links.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  5. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Reciprocal links may not be "to blame" per se, but they definately have less weight than one way or x>2-way linking.

Comments on this post

• Highland agrees : Exactly
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  7. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

i don't think reciprocal links are problem, internet is all about link to each other, its unnatural to have just 1 way links, we just need to change strategy and stop using links or resource pages and start using deep linking reciprocal, targeting page by page not TLD
  9. SEO Earthquake!

So linking to the TLD is bad? Or at least, not as good?
  11. Croatia - Hrvatska

So linking to the TLD is bad? Or at least, not as good?
    No its not bad, but Matt Cutts did talk about that on SES San Jose, its unnatural for SE that site have only links to TLD or big % of links pointing to TLD.

I think its better to get BL to specific pages with anchor related to specific page.
  13. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

TLD?
  15. SEO Earthquake!

BLs to internal pages are better from an SEO POV, but I don't agree that most natural links would not point to the home page on an average site. The only way more would point to an internal page is if there was something *really* cool about that page. A super-great article or very useful tool or neat game or toy. Otherwise the link would go to the TLD, especially in an environment where content is updated daily (news, blogs, etc.).

TLD = Top Level Domain
  17. hctibselgoogtonmai

Top level domain?
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    BLs to internal pages are better from an SEO POV, but I don't agree that most natural links would not point to the home page on an average site. The only way more would point to an internal page is if there was something *really* cool about that page. A super-great article or very useful tool or neat game or toy. Otherwise the link would go to the TLD, especially in an environment where content is updated daily (news, blogs, etc.).

TLD = Top Level Domain
    Wouldn't/shouldn't they have data on the percentages prior to the link exchange frenzy? Comparing the numbers from then to now would make it pretty easy to spot manipulation. At least on heavily SEOed sites.

Did that make sense? My head hurts...
  21. SEO Earthquake!

Originally Posted by wrkalot
    Wouldn't/shouldn't they have data on the percentages prior to the link exchange frenzy? Comparing the numbers from then to now would make it pretty easy to spot manipulation. At least on heavily SEOed sites.

Did that make sense? My head hurts...
    No... *ow* that does not make sense... *ow*

Now my head hurts...
  23. Croatia - Hrvatska

but I don't agree that most natural links would not point to the home page on an average site
    i was thinking same thing, but M.Cutts did say oposit, that is not natural

Did that make sense?
    it make sense, and you got tools to check % of links pointing to TLD or internal pages ar webuildpages.com/tools/
  25. SEO Earthquake!

Originally Posted by Bruno
    i was thinking same thing, but M.Cutts did say oposit, that is not natural
    Matts on crack on this one. Naturally most natural links would point to the most natural place - the TLD.

it make sense, and you got tools to check % of links pointing to TLD or internal pages ar webuildpages.com/tools/
    Can you explain it to me?

Comments on this post

• Bud Wiser agrees : I always thought Matt Cutts was a crackhead!
  27. Croatia - Hrvatska

sorry, i did write wrong

edit:
    Bruno: that site have only links to TLD or big % of links pointing to TLD...i did not write wrong you did say most, i did say only

im saying its unnatural that big % of BL are pointing to TLD, all sites got most BL pointing to TLD, but some % is pointing to internal pages, problem is that %

Can you explain it to me?
    explain what? class tool, type in url, and read report at bottom, you got % of BL pointing to homepage and % of links pointing to other pages
    Last edited by Bruno; Nov 1st, 2005 at 04:41 PM.
  29. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by hexed
    Reciprocal links may not be "to blame" per se, but they definately have less weight than one way or x>2-way linking.
    Not necessarily.

We often are "too shortsighted" to take into consideration the totality in link path.

I'll concede that any link out off a website has a measure of 'loss" and any link-in is a measured gain.

However, all link outs create a gain to the 'link-to' websites, and there to all sites, and there to all websites, and so on.

So while you have a measure of "loss" so does everyone else which means all websites "linking" also have a measured gain thus you will gain as much as you lose [even more - as everyone linking to you has more of what you use to reserve for yourself] - and a world with no "links" is a null.

One way links natural assumes less is given per link than when there is a feedback loop. Ignored the feedback across the breadth of exchanges... that is a sizable repurposing that you no longer have access to.

IMHO both strategies working together produces superior ordered results and far better than either working apart.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : This is powerful logic. I agree 100%.
    • dougedoug agrees : Excellent Statement
    • bigdoug agrees : Me 3
    Last edited by fathom; Nov 4th, 2005 at 01:20 AM.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: