Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Make mistakes 4Perfection
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Social Bookmarking Sites & its benefits from SEO point of view

Dear Friends,

I want to know your valuable remarks over "What are social bookmarking sites and its benefits in SEO". Please share your valuable thoughts with me. It will help me a lot to understand this concept.

Thanks in advance,

The Great Khali
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Great Khali
    Dear Friends,

I want to know your valuable remarks over "What are social bookmarking sites and its benefits in SEO". Please share your valuable thoughts with me. It will help me a lot to understand this concept.

Thanks in advance,

The Great Khali
    Social book marking is a way by which Internet users can store, classify and share their Internet bookmarks.

On a social book marking site, users can store lists of Internet resources that they find useful. These lists can be accessible to the other users. Other users with similar interests can view those resources.
    Some social book marking sites are del.icio.us, digg.com, reddit.com,stumbleupon.com etc.

Itís helpful in terms of SEO.
    Itís a way of getting one-way links. Search Engine always like one-way links.
    Social book marking sites can generate huge amount of traffic for your site and also can increase the number of returning visitors to your site.
    Thatís why,now a days it is very important for a Webmaster to make his/her site reachable to the users of social book marking sites.
    Last edited by new_seo; Jun 29th, 2007 at 04:28 AM.
  5. Make mistakes 4Perfection

Thanks new_seo!!

Any more opinions please!!!

The Great Khali

Originally Posted by new_seo
    Social book marking is a way by which Internet users can store, classify and share their Internet bookmarks.

On a social book marking site, users can store lists of Internet resources that they find useful. These lists can be accessible to the other users. Other users with similar interests can view those resources.
    Some social book marking sites are del.icio.us, digg.com, reddit.com,stumbleupon.com etc.

Itís helpful in terms of SEO.
    Itís a way of getting one-way links. Search Engine always like one-way links.
    Social book marking sites can generate huge amount of traffic for your site and also can increase the number of returning visitors to your site.
    Thatís why,now a days it is very important for a Webmaster to make his/her site reachable to the users of social book marking sites.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Great Khali
    Thanks new_seo!!

Any more opinions please!!!

The Great Khali
    There was a nice post by GaryTheScubaGuy about an experiment on social book marking sites.Due to some reasons he removed the post.You can send PM to him and ask about that.
    I am telling you,that was a great post.
  9. from the horses mouth

Most social bookmarking sites now use rel="nofollow" on any links that users store, so as a method of bagging classic one-way links for ranking purposes its not viable anymore.

After speaking to djstreet I'll clarify what I meant, I was referring to sites that let users keep their own bookmarks such as del.icio.us which all nofollow.. I wasn't referring to sites such as Digg and Stumble

Comments on this post

• distinctseo : i would actually have to say that most of them don't
    Last edited by channel5; Jun 30th, 2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarification
  11. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

how does it done?
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/social-bookmarking-results-re-published-142907.html
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Check this article: http://blog.mindvalleylabs.com/marketing/how-to-get-traffic-from-web-20-like-digg-reddit-stumbleupon/
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think it's only a matter of time before Google devalues social bookmarking links that aren't already tagged with 'nofollow'. It seems to be a trend, SEOs figure out something, then Google figures out how to offset it.

The real power is in the ability to have your content reach others who may place one way links on their to your content.

Which again comes back to creating great content....

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Don't bet too heavily on this.
    • tybi agrees
    • -mj- agrees : the same with article submission sites, I guess.
  19. Make mistakes 4Perfection

Thank You so much Friends!! I will see into your reference sites and get back to you if any thing needs to be discuss!!

The Great Khali
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My point is simple - social bookmarking sites is a great way to diversify backlinks from authority sites.

Many people think that they will get much traffic from this type of sites - I personally don't think so, because when I want to find something, I go to Google, I don't use Del.icio.us or sites like that. So, as not so many people use these sites for search, not so much traffic from them directly.

But extra backlink from authority site is always great. Plus your page inside the social network can get indexed faster and if it has necessary keywords on it, you will get traffic from this page being in search results higher and sending you traffic.
  23. Contributing User

I need to comment here

What is the benefits of Social Media websites:

- It is very good source of traffic, some of them you need to do it to the home page to get a decent amount of traffic like thousands of visitors (Digg) others you can get some traffic like tens or hundreds of visitors just by adding your website to them (Stumble, reddit) ... dont be exited too much ... social media traffic is not a qualified traffic, and the time spent by visitors on your website is not too long and the conversion is very low
    - From link building standpoint they dont have that much value unless if you make it to the home page, if you make it to the home page with digg for example you can expect tons of inbound links as many blogs and news websites like to write about websites on digg front page.

SEO companies and Social Media websites:

- Most SEO companies started adding Social Media Optimization SMO or Social Media Marketing SMM .. so good news for us as SEOs that we need to add them to our dictionary.
    - Many SEO companies thought that social media is just creating free accounts with Digg or Del.icio.us etc and start digging or stumbling or whatever and then the traffic and inbound links will come right away

But IMO :
    - One good SEO guy can SEO effectively many websites together but he will not able to SMO more than one website
    - Social media websites are very similar to forums, they are communities you need to be interactive with this community, spending more time stumbling, digging and commenting your websites and others websites, making friends ... searching for good content and building good content to add some value to this community.
    - So building digg worthy content (some companies charge thousands for that) .. building friends network is not that easy job .. so it is not enough to tell the SEO guys in your company to take care of that along with their hundred SEO customers .. and I dont recommend even to mention it for customers with low budgets customers ... even if you have read that some websites offer a service like adding your website to 100 social media websites just for $30 ... I have tried this before, it is waste of money even if it is low cost.

So SEOs if you dont have the ability to create amazing content and have some time to spend in the social media websites ... you don't need to bothered about it

Comments on this post

• satheesh agrees
    Last edited by wisam74us; Jun 30th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I do think building a "friends" network on sites like Digg is a good idea. My Digg user name is NavyCS - will you become my virtual Digg friend?
    Keyword Meta Questions Answered
    HTAccess Redirects

Adversity is a spice when added to life makes the dish more interesting.

A magic marker is a SEO's "Easy Button".
  27. Contributing User

Me too I have added you, I have created a tag for SEOChat with StumbleUpon
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/like/seochat/
    Make sure to add this tag to your profile as "SEOChat" and then we can see each others from our profile page
  29. Make mistakes 4Perfection

Is there any one on Del.icio.us??
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: