Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

So what does work -- Case study of sorts…

Manipulating Google SERPs is an increasingly difficult thing to do. My website used to dominate all my SERPs both locally and globally. Heaps of links to link bait made my money pages dominate…

Now… I dominate informational searches for my link bait specific keywords. I slaughter many competitors including .edus and .govs in these searches. However in my localized searches I do not dominate anymore (I still do pretty well overall (1st or 2nd page for most things) but far from dominate. If I do searches for my key terms outside HK I do far better than the same searches in HK (I live in Hong Kong). My competitors who have very few links are either above or just below me depending on search terms.

My thinking is Google picks the most relevant 20 or so pages and then orders them on some other basis not link juice. It seems to me in these sub groups we start off much more even and then I cannot work out why/how the rankings are determined.

So what does work? What can a person do to dominate geo targeted specific search terms?
    We are now putting a big effort to get more user engagement on our website. Ie topical localized calendars, user submitted content, live chat etc.. I am ‘hoping’ that this will help our conversions in that with less traffic we are seeking to engae our visitors more in the hope of increasing trust and conversions.

I have now employed a full time social media person to oversee the implementation of all these ideas. I hope it will work….

So back to my question….. What does work in helping do better with the modern google algorithm… Any ideas, suggestions etc I am happy to give some interesting ideas and suggestions a try as I have no problem throwing some resouces at the experiment…. If I try something and it works I am happy to let people know the results..

All feedback is welcome EXCEPT – CREATE GREAT CONTENT AND GET LINKS…. This I am already doing as I said it does not really work on a localized /Geo level anymore…..

Thanks

Gazz
    Live the moment
  3. SEO Since 97

Do you have local pages and do they have local text anchors aimed at them. I'm guessing you do but had to ask.
  5. Roll the dice.. and live

yep... Pages are created with local targeted content and internal links..
  7. SEO Since 97

How about external links, mainly the anchor text.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    How about external links, mainly the anchor text.
    Yep.. Do not get me wrong. I do well and still get heaps of traffic. I just do not dominate or come up position1,2,3 for many search terms I used to dominate for. I cannot work out any reason for why for specific search terms different competitors are doing better. There appears to be little logic or consistency in this. As I said I travel heaps and it is a geo thing mostly If I do a search “targeted term Hong Kong” in HK I may come 4-5 but that same search in Thailand, USA or Australia I come up first.

Google is doing something different with how it orders geo targeted ranking and form my research it does not appear to be links, link juice or anchor text…

So I was wondering what others have found seems to work..
    Last edited by gazzahk; Sep 22nd, 2016 at 01:49 AM.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A Local Google update might be the reason - Everything you need to know about Google's 'Possum' algorithm update
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have noticed that sites not mobile friendly suffer a penalty, also if your whole site is not https it will suffer a penalty. Well not so much a penalty, but sites that are mobile friendly and are fully https will get a boost. Check if you have both attributes on your site. Check if those out ranking you have those attributes working. This could be your issue, not knowing your site at all. Both of these updates to Google's algo make a bit of a difference, the mobile issue I think has the worst impact.
  15. Roll the dice.. and live

Thanks for the comment. However I am not talking about a sudden drop in rankings just a gradual reduction in my previous dominance. Just looking to see if anyone has some new ideas that are working for region specific searches. By the way sites mobile friendly..
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I ran rankings on a few sites I maintain. I paid particular notice to the fact that they all had a small boost in rankings +2 to +3 in some cases, mostly a few +1's but I did notice that for some towns targeted outside the main City, a few jumped 5 positions.
    Originally Posted by smartyank
    A Local Google update might be the reason

I am thinking he is right.
    The bonus for me was I had 5 additional keywords enter top 10, but I lost ranking on average -1 to -2 on a few terms that were (main city) targeted same as you. Out laying city / towns saw a boost. So I believe the "Local" update is responsible.

I would upload a screen shot but I haven't figured out how to insert pictures yet. Seems sharing a google drive image is not gonna work. lol
  19. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I would upload a screen shot but I haven't figured out how to insert pictures yet. Seems sharing a google drive image is not gonna work. lol
    Our image uploader is a little picky sometimes. I think you'll need to have the photo uploaded somewhere so that it has its own web address. Then put that URL between [IMG] tags, and it should embed directly into your post. The problem is that it likes some sites (e.g. imgur) but not others - I've yet to compile a full list of sites that the image embedder doesn't work with.

/tangent
  21. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    So what does work? What can a person do to dominate geo targeted specific search terms?

So back to my question….. What does work in helping do better with the modern google algorithm…
    Paid search.
  23. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Paid search.
    lol.. We already use both Google and Bing PPC.

So does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions that we could give a try?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Personally, I still get results linking to sub areas of the domain. Then from there creating relevance and exact match kwds to money pages. This produces Geo targeted results in the organic listings. That coupled with citations, Google and 3rd party reviews like FB helps with the map pack listings.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Although I have just lost some double listing positions. Where I was holding number 1 map pack and number 1 organic. This is for a very competitive market covering Birmingham in the Uk.
    What I have noticed is the 2 of the top 3 in the maps are not page one in the organic serp. The one site that has a double listing uses a differnt page link in the business listing then that is being displayed in the organic. This was something I used to do to hold a organic serp and a map listing. I'm going to make that change and see if in this particular case I get the map listing result back.
  29. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Have you investigated reviews? I'm not familiar with your content and market but the sentiment, quality and quantity of reviews could be something that is effecting you in local results.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : thanks for the suggestion
    • ryandiscord agrees
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: