1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

so they say - but is it true

It is said that if you are building a link campaign that you should aim to have "similar" sites linking to you.

Eg i run a nostalgic web site called skooldays, so i am aiming for nostalgic retro sites and links form them will carry value.

But, surely no harm comes from having links on unrelated sites, as long as they are not blacklisted, i assume there value would just be less than the retro sites.

Is my thinking right, what do we actually know?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

In truth what's actualy known is very little - there is much speculation and theory - as is often the case in the sEO game.

My take on it is that links from relevant sites are much better than links from irrelevant sites. And yes your way of thinking - a link from an irrelevant site probably won't hurt - it just wont have the bennefit of a relevant link.

I think the big think now is making linking look natural. Ie no site wide links - don't get loads (read 1000's) of links at once - use varied anchor text etc.
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by tstolber
    In truth what's actualy known is very little - there is much speculation and theory - as is often the case in the sEO game.

My take on it is that links from relevant sites are much better than links from irrelevant sites. And yes your way of thinking - a link from an irrelevant site probably won't hurt - it just wont have the bennefit of a relevant link.

I think the big think now is making linking look natural. Ie no site wide links - don't get loads (read 1000's) of links at once - use varied anchor text etc.
    Thats good
    it has to be based on what is natural as that is the way the web works
    in my campaign im imagining im a helpful web master and therefore varying my desciptions on the A Tags but making it relevent to the content (not over doing it)
  7. Chennai
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Get lot of natural links and focus on some themed links.
    SEO is not SPAM Matt Cutts
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

99% of the crap you read about SEO these days is garbage.

Think for yourself and experiment. Since there are only 3 spots in the whole world, do you really think people are going to help you that much?

Comments on this post

• NSRS agrees : very true test every theory and stratagy
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  11. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

do you really think people are going to help you that much?
    YES, there are a lot people who is willing to help becose they learn SEO from other and most stuff that you know you did read somewhere or somebody did tell you

without reading and asking question you can't do nothing
    Last edited by Bruno; Jul 30th, 2005 at 10:36 AM.
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

zanet, I know nothing (that's actually a "Manuel" quote from Fawlty Towers)

All we can do is experiment (like e.g. tstolber does) and use common sense (like most of us do). A combination of both is ideal.

Since the SE algos are reported to use many factors (>100) determining a page's ranking, I take almost all suggested ranking factors into account - just to be sure. Even the silly ones can be worth looking into, especially if they don't take too much effort to implement...
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  15. Contributing User

zanet,

<sgt. schultz>I know nothing. I see nothing.</sgt. schultz>

Despite that fact follow this exact plan: email web sites for unrelated links, get on the phone and call for topical links and go knock on doors for highly related links.
  17. Disregard Logic, Be Happy
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by zanet
    It is said that if you are building a link campaign that you should aim to have "similar" sites linking to you.

Eg i run a nostalgic web site called skooldays, so i am aiming for nostalgic retro sites and links form them will carry value.
    there are a broad range of related themes for your site that you can also take advantage of. anything dealing with components of your site (the more obvious the better) can pass a majority of the link benefit to you. in this case, you have a lot of room to work with because you cover many different items under the retro umbrella.

specify links (games to games, movies to movies) to the proper subpages and use your broad scoped homepage to collect links from broad-scoped sites (for example, site review types). there is plenty of subject matter to target other than the more obvious retro themes. break it down to find greater relevency-snagging opportunities.
    Last edited by okguyjames; Jul 30th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by okguyjames

specifiy links (games to games, movies to movies) to the proper subpages and use your broad scoped homepage to collect links from broad-scoped sites (for example, site review types). there is plenty of subject matter to target other than the more obvious retro themes. break it down to find greater relevency-snagging opportunities.
    now that makes good sense
    i have 8 sub categories, movies arcade games, toys, saturday television, so i will aim to point the more relevent link to the specific category, rather than all links to the main index.htm

nice point okguyjames and others above