1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Snippet missing (preview text in the SERPS) accompanied by severe rankings drop

I have a website that was averaging 2000 unique visitors per day. Starting on May 24th, traffic started to go down, to 1500, then 1000, then down to 500 visitors per day. This is the first traffic drop in many years of steady traffic. The site is very high quality, white hat. I have made no recent changes to my site.

QUESTION 1) I am aware that Penguin 2.0 recently rolled out, about May 22. If this is a Penguin drop, then does my rankings drop fit the profile? I thought that a Penguin drop would mean an immediate drop on the 22nd, not a slow steady drop over May 24-27.

QUESTION 2) As I searched all of my formerly top-ranked search phrases, I often found my site ranked down around #8, #17, etc. But here's the thing - the SERPS no longer display the preview text below the page title! Google calls this a "snippet". My site no longer displays snippets. The disappearing snippets started exactly when the traffic started to fall a few days ago. I cannot find any information about missing snippets, other than that a webmaster can purposefully <meta name="googlebot" content="nosnippet"> which I of course have not done.

I have never seen a website lose its snippets. Again, the loss of snippets came exactly at the same time as the drop in rankings.
  3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Could you share the URL?
    I want to take a look at the code. I am afraid google cannot read the content for some reason.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

URL is snake-removal dot com.

Do a Google search for ( how to kill snakes ) for example. I am now knocked down to #8, and you'll see that Google no longer displays snippet text. Bing/Yahoo still do.

My code should be fine - been using it for years, and use it on two other websites, both doing fine in Google.

Here's what I know - Google severely dropped my rankings AND eliminated my snippet text. I have never heard of such a thing before, and in my research, I can't even find any mention of anything similar ever happening to any other website owner. I can't even recall ever seeing a SERP result with no snippet text!

I joined this forum in 2003, check it often, understand SEO backward and forwards, but only post here when something very unusual happens. This is strange. Could this be a new type of Google penalty or experiment on their part?
  7. the mango demon

I guess I found where the problem lies.
    fire this command into the Google search box or your Chrome all purpose bar : site:snake-removal.com
    Note that it shows you 107 results in 11 pages. But try to go beyond page three. Google will issue an error "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 29 already displayed.
    If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

Strange, but all those pages indexed beyond result no 29 have no snippet. The first 29 pages have snippets showing up for them pretty well.
    I looked a few sentences from those supplemental pages and they your site does not appear for any of those. The content appears on a dozen or so other websites too. Is your content original? Especially the ones about the snakes. The city pages are almost entirely same and some words are replaced depending on which city they are for.

The pages are getting pushed into supplemental index because of content quality.
    I am sure the snippets and rankings are down because of content quality and because they are getting flushed into secondary index. That they still rank on the first page is miraculous. I would not be surprised if they go down further.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My website has recovered.

Traffic slowly went down over a 4-day span, to almost nothing, then slowly recovered over the next 4 days, and now it's 95% back to the original levels. Several of the less-important pages remain in the supplemental results, with no snippet, but 56 out of the 93 pages (not 107) are now fully back. And the ones still missing the snippet text are ranking well. I'm guessing 100% recovery soon, but that remains to be seen. If it stays like this I'm fine, because I already have pretty much full recovery.

Yes, my pages are all original, hand written by me, photos taken by me. It's true that the city pages (31 of the 93 total pages) do have a small section of repeat text, followed by a much larger chunk of original unique text on each page. And these city pages, even the ones that currently remain with no snippet, now rank well again.

This was a mystery. I have no idea what happened, but Google clearly did it - my code was fine, my web host was fine, my site remained fine on Bing/Yahoo, etc. For some strange reason, Google briefly torched my site, dropped the snippets, getting worse by the day, and then just as mysteriously, it has slowly recovered, snippets returning, rankings and traffic returning. I've never seen or heard of anything like it.

Anyway, thanks for at least looking into it, NewDelhi.
  11. the mango demon

Good thing that you are back on the SERPs. Enjoy
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Good thing that you are back on the SERPs. Enjoy
    Thank you so much for your positive and nice answer...
  15. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How many websites do you have that link to snake-removal.com? 100? 200? More?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I noticed that I live in the same city as KernalPanic, so I decided to continue this thread with him in person. I just had the great pleasure of meeting him today - what a guy! Levelheaded, honest, and possessing a deep level of SEO knowledge. I do not hesitate to recommend working with him, for any of you on this board looking to hire an SEO guy. I believe he has high integrity. He was genuine fun to talk to.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I have been facing issues with recipe thumbnail in search results....I use schema.org/Recipe
    It is not showing up for any of my recipes inspite of me adding the code.I have searched and checked for solutions but nowhere its given clearly.....First the thumbnail with snippet information(the mins) came for 2-3 posts and the next day the thumbnail disappeared now it does not show up for any of my posts....but cannot guarantee that the thumbanil comes for all of my new posts.....And when I update for my old posts it doesnt get reflected.But once it disappears it never comes back

I published a post today I mistakenly added hrecipe class(just that class alone) for around 100 posts even before I started coding for schema so I thought it should be the conflict and removed hrecipe class...its been more than 3 weeks already but hrecipe is still showing in my webmaster tools structured data.Will it be a problem? If so what should I do to remove it?

I would really appreciate if someone can help me and come out with a solution