1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Small Website Owners Who Want Thier Site To Rank

I build websites for small local businesses such as campsites, public houses, Guesthouses, Holiday Cottages.

All the websites are optomised on page. However I do not do link building, directory submissions or any advertising for the websites. Often the services of a decent SEO will be well outside of the budgest of these small businesses.

I always tell the site owners that having a website does not mean you are automatically visible and that the hard work begins in telling potential customers about your site and getting them onto it.

Quite often I get emails from dissapointed customers after a few months of their sites being live. Often they want to know why their site is not top of google for a whole host of Keywords etc.

With this in mind. Could anyone give any advice or links to websites where they can find out more information and tips on promoting (very) small business websites.
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Glenn Kilpatric
    I build websites for small local businesses such as campsites, public houses, Guesthouses, Holiday Cottages.

All the websites are optomised on page. However I do not do link building, directory submissions or any advertising for the websites. Often the services of a decent SEO will be well outside of the budgest of these small businesses.

I always tell the site owners that having a website does not mean you are automatically visible and that the hard work begins in telling potential customers about your site and getting them onto it.

Quite often I get emails from dissapointed customers after a few months of their sites being live. Often they want to know why their site is not top of google for a whole host of Keywords etc.

With this in mind. Could anyone give any advice or links to websites where they can find out more information and tips on promoting (very) small business websites.
    Great question: Here is the best website I know of for learning SEO for sites of all sizes: click here

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : I knew where it would go but I still clicked it lol.
  5. SEO Since 97

If you tell them they need good SEO thats out of their budget to rank, I'd just remind them of that when they contact you with their disappointment.

If I were you I would keep that information in front of all your clients, or your going to be classified as a rip off.

Quite often I get emails from dissapointed customers after a few months of their sites being live. Often they want to know why their site is not top of google for a whole host of Keywords
    Either you failed to get the SEO part through their heads or your client are really forgetful.

And with those examples, their competition spends quite a lot to be found in the serps. they don't stand a chance. Which is something you really need to mention to your clients.

All the websites are optomised on page. However I do not do link building, directory submissions or any advertising for the websites.
    I find a lot of site builders (the ones that really just build sites) say the site is optimized when it really isn't, 95 percent of them think if they have the words in all the right places or elements it's been optimized. Kinda like tossing a dollar bill on the counter to pay a 10 dollar invoice..then ask will that take care of it?

This is the best place as KP said...but I have a feeling you won't be passing that information on. Why?? I'm glad you asked, because I think your getting the work and then stating the being found after the fact or they would be sending emails of such disappointment... is that right? did I win?

added:
    But I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Nov 27th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
  7. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

If they just want to be found for local searches I can't imagine generally there will be a ton of competition so it shouldn't cost too much $.

Why don't you hook up with a reputable SEO and make some arrangements about passing on clients to him if they're interested in getting an SEO service.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : That is an idea that definitely works
    • EGOL agrees : Learn how to do this well and offer the service. It will be better for your business than anything else you can do. Right now you are being badmouthed because your sites don't rank. Fix that.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I would imagine many of these types of sites would be primarily concerned about local targeting, therefore advising the clients to use and target local search terms would probably a bait these. I should point out the (hopefully) obvious that this should only be the case if it is applicable to the client, not used as a means of making the perceived task easier.

I would then also put together a basic package of local optimization and targeting features that would go some way to making local rankings much better.

This would probably satisfy many of your clients.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : good call
    • PhilipSEO agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    If you tell them they need good SEO thats out of their budget to rank, I'd just remind them of that when they contact you with their disappointment.

If I were you I would keep that information in front of all your clients, or your going to be classified as a rip off.

Either you failed to get the SEO part through their heads or your client are really forgetful.

And with those examples, their competition spends quite a lot to be found in the serps. they don't stand a chance. Which is something you really need to mention to your clients.

I find a lot of site builders (the ones that really just build sites) say the site is optimized when it really isn't, 95 percent of them think if they have the words in all the right places or elements it's been optimized. Kinda like tossing a dollar bill on the counter to pay a 10 dollar invoice..then ask will that take care of it?

This is the best place as KP said...but I have a feeling you won't be passing that information on. Why?? I'm glad you asked, because I think your getting the work and then stating the being found after the fact or they would be sending emails of such disappointment... is that right? did I win?

added:
    But I hope I'm wrong.
    I was actually intending to point them to this topic. I always tell my clients that I build websites and that promoting the site afterwards cost money or time. I make a very strong point of telling them that a website on its own is not enough to get them business. I also tell them very strongly that they need to work on promoting the site be that through buying advertising in papers, local advertising magazines, local radio, local online directories, links on other local/relavent websites etc.

What I certainly dont do is take money from any of them and promise I will rank their websites. and I seriously hope this is not what your suggesting, as if you are you are extremely out of order.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : I was hoping you were going to say that. As long as they were well informed, they have nothing to complain about. :)
    Last edited by Glenn Kilpatric; Nov 27th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye

Why don't you hook up with a reputable SEO and make some arrangements about passing on clients to him if they're interested in getting an SEO service.
    Thanks for the reply Darren. Are you able to give me a contact for such a person.

If I could give them a contact then this may be useful to them.
  15. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Thanks for the reply Darren. Are you able to give me a contact for such a person.

If I could give them a contact then this may be useful to them.
    Maybe you should start a thread in SEO professionals, give some details, I'm sure people would PM you if they're interested.

You have been on here a while, I'm also sure you have an idea of the sort of members you should take seriously and the newcomers you shouldn't.

Check credentials obviously because if you pass on a customer and they get a poor service they will come back to complain at you
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for an honest and sensible reply Darren, much appreciated and I shall take your advice.

From my time on the site Ive learnt that seo is a tough business. It takes me all the time I have to seo my own couple of sites, I dont have the time to do that service for anyone else and I would also admit I dont have the level of expertise to do it well either. I manage to do my own sites because I love my subject and can write well and knowledgably on them.

Small websites for local business are often just a couple of pages about the business and how to contact them. There isnt a lot of scope of link baiting etc. I really would not know where to begin with seo for this type of site.

So thanks again for your help guys, as always its appreciated.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think this could be an opportunity for you to expand your web service. If you have explained up front that building a site doesn't make the site rank (well), and that they understand the need for SEO, then I think you should design your pitch and go for it. I don't know how broad your town is, but I would be surprised if it is very challenging.. Perhaps this is a good time for you to start your own SEO campaign for your service.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Rocket web
    I think this could be an opportunity for you to expand your web service. If you have explained up front that building a site doesn't make the site rank (well), and that they understand the need for SEO, then I think you should design your pitch and go for it. I don't know how broad your town is, but I would be surprised if it is very challenging.. Perhaps this is a good time for you to start your own SEO campaign for your service.
    I think this takes us back to the original question ?
  23. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Glenn, you have made nearly 1000 posts here over the past six years. So I am going to be honest and not sugar-coat my answer.

This is not the client's lack of understanding. It is your failure to communicate effectively.

You know that these sites are not going to rank. Tell the client that he will need SEO. Make sure that he understands. You might include language in your contract. Have a list of recommended SEOs who can help after you do your job.

Most websites only make money for two people: 1) the hosting service owners; and, 2) designers.

If there is no investment in SEO there is no return.

These people came to you because they needed a professional. They told you they wanted a website.

I think that it is poor service to foist the SEO job onto them when they come back to you complaining. Why do you think it is good service to tell your customer "Go learn SEO yourself"?

My advice is to tell every potential client that you will build them a website and that your service includes local SEO or enough SEO to get them some rankings. If you can't offer the SEO service learn how to do it, partner with an SEO who can, have SEOs who can accept a referral. A few people might want to do it themselves but I bet that they are very few in number.

If you take this approach you will build 1/2 as many websites, have twice as much revenue...and, have lots of satisfied customers.
    Last edited by EGOL; Nov 30th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  25. Roll the dice.. and live

Small websites for local business are often just a couple of pages about the business and how to contact them. There isnt a lot of scope of link baiting etc. I really would not know where to begin with seo for this type of site.
    There are a few simple suggestions that can be given to get them on the right path. The thread I would be pointing them to is this one http://forums.seochat.com/link-popularity-43/where-do-you-find-your-link-opportunities-450572.html

And the easiest way to get some initial links is given by Jocelyn in this response http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=1021725&postcount=8

Just tell them the two driving powers behind ranks are links and relevance to search queries. They need to be relevant and get links....
    Live the moment
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Guys. I will be giving it some more thought. I never mind being told things honestly and directly so I thank you for your contributions.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks Guys. I will be giving it some more thought. I never mind being told things honestly and directly so I thank you for your contributions.
    To be honest Glenn I can fully appreciate where your coming from here. After all you can be a Jack of all trades but a master of none in this game. Personally I think your correct to build the websites and assuming your good at it stick to just that providing you make it perfectly clear upfront that is the service you are offering.

Providing you make it clear upfront that you will not be doing the SEO work for them and they are aware what that means (Which can be difficult I know).

I too would as you have requested in this thread collect a list of other professionals who can help. I for example have someone who I can call upon when I need something writing, I have someone I can call upon for linkbuilding, I have someone I can call upon for graphics etc. There is no shame in not being able to do this all yourself but having a little black book of experts in each field to hand would help your customers depending on their needs and budget.

You never know you maybe able to setup some deal with some of these other experts for passing work their way however I would tend to go with who can provide the client with the best service and not who gives me the biggest kick back in return so pick them carefully.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees
    • EGOL agrees