1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Small content changes. Good or bad?

About a month ago I started making small content changes to the home page on an established site on a daily basis.

It was just changing about 3 lines of text at the start of a page which already has a lot of text.

The site has about 5000 pages, the majority of which get updated about every 3 months

The idea behind the small update was to show that the site is being updated regularly and to give visitors a small bit of new content each day. (Time problems mean I cant update the site as much as I need to)

Since I started doing that we are slowly losing positioning in the SERPs.

Would these small updates be causing the problem, maybe G is seeing them as some kind of spam attempt?

3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Kain
    About a month ago I started making small content changes to the home page on an established site on a daily basis.

It was just changing about 3 lines of text at the start of a page which already has a lot of text.

The site has about 5000 pages, the majority of which get updated about every 3 months

The idea behind the small update was to show that the site is being updated regularly and to give visitors a small bit of new content each day. (Time problems mean I cant update the site as much as I need to)

Since I started doing that we are slowly losing positioning in the SERPs.

Would these small updates be causing the problem, maybe G is seeing them as some kind of spam attempt?

You need to check the competitiors website also to get a clear idea about this and also the competiting pages. if it is increasing then the reason is clear. Anyway I don't think regular updation causes in any decrease of rankings.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am not sure that anyone can give you 100% guaranteed yes or no on this questions, except Google.

But I have some suggestions:

#1 the place where you change that content, some of the things can just pass beyond unnoticed (start is too vague - is it start of the body?)

#2 Search engines are reported to be much into LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) and this is the step to new level of search results. I saw many posts about LSI - some say it can help search engines, others say it's just another myth to make us feel fear before the power of search engines. I don't know.

But I think that changing the content in small portions on all pages at the same time can look very suspicious.

#3 what are you using the SE *notifier* RSS feeds or sitemap?