1. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Slowly losing back links every update...

Ok, a month ago (or whenever the last back link update was) I had about 415 back links...then the update cut me down to 382. THis update cut me down to 282...

The strange part is that I have been actively promoting my page in conjuction with another one of my sites...Site B is only advertisted when Site A is advertised, but site B is showing over 400 back links right now!

I know for a fact that site A actually has more back links that site B...my serps are going down on just about every keyword I monitor...some when from 150 to past 200, while others went from 20 to around 50...

Any explanation for this? Don't say "wait it out, it will right itself" It is a steady decrease...I thought it would right itself last time.

Thanks!
  3. Link Exchanges Welcomed!

Check your reciprocal links with a fine tooth comb and make sure you aren't linking with sites that may have been banned since your exchange. This can cause this effect.

Base your research on PR first and then when you find a PR0 page, research them and make sure they are indexed in google and have backlinks of their own.

You may be surprised what can happen to a website in a year. Whether they forget to renew their domains and get hijacked or they sell their site, a site can go from an awesome link to a damaging link in a blink of an eye.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Scottdama, it is a small posibility, but such big drop for short time....
    Afterhim, how about yahoo back link, they increase..Usuall trend in Google these days for most of site is increase of back link...this is stange.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Afterhim, any chance that alot of you backlinks are from discussion boards like this one or from blogs ?

Eventually the topics become stale and get so buried that google might not be able to find the page or comments any longer and therefore start decreasing your backlinks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    User Contributor

Talking

Originally Posted by ledfish
    Afterhim, any chance that alot of you backlinks are from discussion boards like this one or from blogs ?

Eventually the topics become stale and get so buried that google might not be able to find the page or comments any longer and therefore start decreasing your backlinks.
    ledfish, good theory. About half of my links are from forums. I have about 150 new posts in forums since the last update, so hopefully google keeps finding those.

Brandon