1. Doh!!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sites with low quality inbound links rank high in google for competitive KW

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this, Google is ranking domains for high volume competitive keywords with awful low quality/spammy links above sites that have good content and good inbound links. This certainly seems to be the case in google.co.uk can anyone else confirm?

Some sites I see have pos 1,2 & 3 rankings in google.co.uk and their content, link quality and everything about the site is poor.

This also seems the case for keyword domains that are exact match keywords, it seems that if a domain has the exact match as the query it needs very little in terms of good content and link quality/quantity to rank high in Google. I have noticed this certainly within the last couple of months and more so with the October 2011 Google Panda update!

Comments on this post

• subzero27 agrees : Ditto that
    Last edited by jimtimuk100; Oct 19th, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jimtimuk100
    I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this, Google is ranking domains for high volume competitive keywords with awful low quality/spammy links above sites that have good content and good inbound links. This certainly seems to be the case in google.co.uk can anyone else confirm?

Some sites I see have pos 1,2 & 3 rankings in google.co.uk and their content, link quality and everything about the site is poor.

This also seems the case for keyword domains that are exact match keywords, it seems that if a domain has the exact match as the query it needs very little in terms of good content and link quality/quantity to rank high in Google. I have noticed this certainly within the last couple of months and more so with the October 2011 Google Panda update!

MHO, Google has been promoting "brands" for a long while. If you think about it, brands means KID, since most of the time companies use their company name as the domain. This to some extent ensures that if you search for IBM (for illustration only), ibm.com should come up first. I would think that adjusting the weight of exact match of the keyword and domain is one of the more promising way of doing this. When in the future Google can possibly collect more brand signals from other sources, this effect of exact match between keyword and domain will probably diminish..
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Jim you are right....i also see one page MFA websites with very less content and value ranking higher than better websites. I am also seeing a lot of spammy keyword'ed domains ranking higher than better ones.

One of my friend has a domain which is partial keyword matched domain but has better content and more links.His site ranks on the 6th page and sites which have exact keyword matches are on the first page.
  7. Doh!!

thanks for the replies, seems I'm not alone on this one! what do you think is the next step in beating these lower quality sites? Its tempting to buy out the exact match keyword domains of these individuals to rule out competition, any thoughts on this?

It just annoys me when legitimate companies with a strong brand, good organic links, great content, physical business locations, good customer service are outranked by lets face it "awful, low quality sites created to game the system" anyway rant over with, back to link building and writing some great content :-)

One more thing, I have certainly noticed the ranking increase in exact match keyword domains since the Google panda updates, can anyone confirm this is the case for their industry?
    Last edited by jimtimuk100; Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Being in India I too have been seeing this for past few weeks. Lots of keywords rich domains and with little value content and spammy backlinks from .edu and .org blogs are ranking higher.
    Last edited by Singhvineet; Oct 21st, 2011 at 02:46 AM.