1. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sitepal, increase conversions or an annoyance?

I stumbled upon www dot sitepal dot com today and thought maybe it could help with conversions (if used properly). You could have it guide your users to an application, or tell them how to properly navigate your site.

What do you guys think? Would it help or just be annoying?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I would not suggest using it. It is a annoyance. Write up some relevant copy to make your visitors want to but from you. It will assist you in ranking. Plus sitepal is flash and no content so you would be selling yourself short in the SEO aspect.

Cheers.

Zaaz
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well first off i disagree with zaaz, i think it's rediculous to shy away from applications just because they won't help seo efforts, not everything on your site needs to be there to make the search engines happy. I know you already know this JW, i just get frustrated seeing that over and over.

Anyway, yes Sitepal can be annoying. I've also seen it work well. It just depends on how you use it and how much. It tends to work best for customer service and FAQ type stuff. I wouldn't rely on it to sell/convert but if you use it unobtrusively to supplement what you already have, then it could pay off.
  7. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by roseberry
    Well first off i disagree with zaaz, i think it's rediculous to shy away from applications just because they won't help seo efforts, not everything on your site needs to be there to make the search engines happy. I know you already know this JW, i just get frustrated seeing that over and over.

Anyway, yes Sitepal can be annoying. I've also seen it work well. It just depends on how you use it and how much. It tends to work best for customer service and FAQ type stuff. I wouldn't rely on it to sell/convert but if you use it unobtrusively to supplement what you already have, then it could pay off.
    Exactly what i was thinking...Clearly it is no for SEO purposes, but is to increase conversions.

I was thinking about having it on the home page to tell how to easily navigate the site.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jwbond
    Exactly what i was thinking...Clearly it is no for SEO purposes, but is to increase conversions.

I was thinking about having it on the home page to tell how to easily navigate the site.
    Probably will work fine. I would make sure to put some sort of text around it saying why the user should bother clicking on it (if it doesn't start at load) or turning on/up their sound to pay attention. There are also other similar solutions out there, so you may want to do some research - you might be able to find something cheaper or that works better for you. I know that we've used character builder by media semantics before (but i wasn't directly involved in it so I can't give you much more than that).