1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sitemap.xml Size ?

Hello,

I have couple of website and all of them have sitemap.xml file but i write only categories there not all pages that i have. Total 14 pages. I saw my friends sitemap.xml file and he has like 25 000 record in the xml file. I cant event open sitemap file thru firefox. it is freezed. Is it ok to have that many link inside sitemap? I have like 1000 pages, should i put all pages inside to sitemap?

I thought if i put only category pages into sitemap, google will follow links and index all other pages under the category but it doesnt do that, it indexes some of them. Not all of them. It's been 2-3 weeks and still some pages are not indexed.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

2-3 weeks is like a day or two in SEO. It takes time for google to cache things, and then even more time for it to be indexed.

I would definitely urge you not to make a sitemap as large as your friends'. If it won't load, that's waaaayyyyyy larger than it should be. Some people suggest using a sitemap that is no larger than 100 pages, but I personally have one with over 1000 that is crawled twice a week with no problems, nearly all the pages are indexed, also.

Just leave out that pages that you think are of no use to someone searching for you or something you offer.

From Google webmaster guidelines:
    A Sitemap file can contain no more than 50,000 URLs and be no larger than 10MB when uncompressed. If your Sitemap is larger than this, break it into several smaller Sitemaps. These limits help ensure that your web server is not overloaded by serving large files to Google.
    Last edited by jsteele823; May 1st, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    2-3 weeks is like a day or two in SEO. It takes time for google to cache things, and then even more time for it to be indexed.

I would definitely urge you not to make a sitemap as large as your friends'. If it won't load, that's waaaayyyyyy larger than it should be. Some people suggest using a sitemap that is no larger than 100 pages, but I personally have one with over 1000 that is crawled twice a week with no problems, nearly all the pages are indexed, also.

Just leave out that pages that you think are of no use to someone searching for you or something you offer.

From Google webmaster guidelines:
    Thanks for quick respond. I should have read google webmaster quidelines.