1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sitemap re-submission

Each time i create a new web page, should i renew and resubmit my sitemap.xml?

Are there any positive/negative affects of continually resubmitting a sitemap (if i should with a new page)?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by mania112
    Each time i create a new web page, should i renew and resubmit my sitemap.xml?

Are there any positive/negative affects of continually resubmitting a sitemap (if i should with a new page)?
    By re-creating and re-submitting site maps, you are essentially giving google a heads-up that your content is contantly changing, updating and (hopefully) improving. This will not adversely affect your site.

A negative of this is the time-factor which could be better spent elsewhere. I'd recommend looking in creating a sitemap generator which automatically submits a new sitemap (regardless of updates) every 24 hours.

Comments on this post

• mujahidshaikh agrees
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  5. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Xml-sitemaps.com is the best in my opinion... Quick and easy, literally takes a few minutes (provided your site is less than 500 pages)...
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the comments.

Yeah, that's the website i've been using - I just needed confirmation that I SHOULD be re-submitting each time I create a new page.

- I suppose it's obvious
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

No, you don't need to do that. If you're menu structure and internal linking is up to par with standard onpage SEO standards, Google will auto-discover new pages as they're added to your page.

Ignore the above posts, you're doing more work than you need to.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    No, you don't need to do that. If you're menu structure and internal linking is up to par with standard onpage SEO standards, Google will auto-discover new pages as they're added to your page.

Ignore the above posts, you're doing more work than you need to.
    True, but why not use all tools available, especially if a site is new?

Just to contradict myself and just for the record; I haven't actually re-submitted an XML sitemap for my established websites for months and months now, despite frequently adding fresh content...
    Last edited by thegodfather; Oct 26th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok thats makes sense

so long as the heirachy remains intact, it should be fine:

domain > news > new page1, new page2, new page3 etc etc

I guess Google learns the structure and can 'expect' new content in certain places...
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by mania112
    ok thats makes sense

so long as the heirachy remains intact, it should be fine:

domain > news > new page1, new page2, new page3 etc etc

I guess Google learns the structure and can 'expect' new content in certain places...
    Google does not 'expect' or 'assume' anything. It's an algo that is per-programmed to find new pages, crawl and then index them. You must understand HOW Google operates to fully appreciate this. Google's algo goes link, to link, to link. Essentially, a giant snowball affect. If your pages are all linked together, like a good Webmaster would do, you should have nothing to sweat.

The 5 minutes it takes to compile a sitemap, could be dedicated to find a decent link.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Brilliant!