1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Sitemap questions for a large site.

I actually have a couple of questions about sitemaps and I'm a bit confused on it.

There seems to be a couple of sitemap formats available from certain generators, and from what it seems, Google prefers xml formats over html. Yahoo I don't know.

Is it ok just to have an xml format sitemap and expect all the engines other than Google such as Yahoo, Msn, Ask Jeeves, etc to be able to find the links on my sitemap?

If not then should I just have an HTML sitemap on my pages instead? Pehaps maybe an HTML and XML version both on my pages? Or maybe even just submit an XML sitemap to Google and put an HTML sitemap instead for my pages.

Another question is the size of my site. If I had a 2000 page website, should I have all the links on one sitemap or should I divide them out? If I divide them, what's the best way to do it and what amount of links per page?

I'm wondering because I've heard that engines don't index all your links if it's too big and particularly if have low PR.
  3. My SE ran out of Gas...
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Your XML sitemap is just for submitting to Google and not for keeping it for your visitors or any other SEs as of now...

www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login here you can login and add your sitemap, onc you get verified the same, you can track the errors and other statitical details from there regarding your pages....

Yahoo accepts .txt formatted sitemaps and google also does the same, but prefer the .xml file.

About the size.. just see http://www.google.com/sitemap.xml as example and i think you can have no more than 50,000 URLs and must be no larger than 10MB (10,485,760) when uncompressed.... -well, you need to refer to the http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html#sitemapFileRequirements

And it's totally different from one you use on your site for your visitors....

Comments on this post

• iqmediaservices agrees : true
    KICHUS - SEO KiD
    "Sooner or later, those who win are those who believe they can."
    • Virtue SEO - "a plan with the virtue of being practical"

SEO Consultant India
  5. No Profile Picture

k, I think I get it. The google xml one is just for submitting to Google only and the limit is 50,000 pages. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not so sure about the sitemap I make specifically for my site though. I heard that 100 was the max you you should have for a page if you have low PR.

That anything over this, the spiders won't list at all. Is this really how I should divide the sitemap? So yeah I'm more worried about whether the spiders will crawl the urls on my sitemap if it's like 2,000 links on the page.

Any recommendations for how I should structure the sitemap that I use for my site?
    Last edited by zeodicap; Mar 14th, 2006 at 02:41 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

We are building an html sitemap today for a big site. It will have one main entry page that lists major categories of the site... The visitor will click on these categories and most of the time will get a full list of pages for that category. Almost all pages will be reached with just two clicks... although some will take three clicks.

We will also have a search box in the face of the visitor on every site map page and hopefully they will try search. We also have search boxes on every page of the site and 10% of visitors use them.

Google will follow beyond 100 links per page but that is what they recommend so try to make that as your goal. I would not make a site map with 2000 links on a page. If there is a lot of text, google might not even read that far - the limit is about 100K. So, with 2000 links that page will be lots of work and might not do you much good for complete indexing. Humans will find that to be an awful lot too.

Comments on this post

• iqmediaservices agrees : well said
    Last edited by EGOL; Mar 14th, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Agreed

Keep it clean & simplistic for the spiders and the consumers!
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

We dealt with a large directory site that had all static links and navigation yet wasn't getting fully indexed due to the shear number of links on each page.

Although 50,000 ish URLs is the list for a single google XML site map- you cna create a site mpa index file and as many individual xml site maps as you want. You can get automatic scripts to build the XML files for you as well.

A static HTML site map - split into sections is good for users and bots a like. An XML site map is good for google although I have seen no beenfit in using them for indeding only that it shows up any errors.

The 100 links per page is a good thing to keep to.
  13. No Profile Picture

can i put dynamic url's in xml sitemap ?

hello friends,

can i put dynamic urls with 2-3 quary strings in xml sitemap for google ?

Hiren Ponkia.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by tstolber
    The 100 links per page is a good thing to keep to.
    The 100 links per page is that inclusive of both internal and external links?