1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site in Wordpress V/s HTML Site

There is site with .html extension and having Google PR 6 for index page and Google PR 6 or 5 for internal pages. Now we are planning shift the same website in wordpress theme. site has less than 80 pages.

Few question:
    1. Is site in wordpress is better than .html website?
    2. Which website will be prefer by Search Engines (wordpress based or html)?

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Search engines have no preferrences to Wordpress over HTML or vice-versa. If you have PR 5-6 on the pages of this site, you'd better not change the URLs.

Comments on this post

• Jesus Nofollow agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by prasunsen
    Search engines have no preferrences to Wordpress over HTML or vice-versa. If you have PR 5-6 on the pages of this site, you'd better not change the URLs.
    I'm agree but i think changing in URL structure may result in loss of PR

Comments on this post

• prasunsen : Well that's what I said so your "but" makes no sense. Are you just building posts?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

disagrees: Well that's what I said so your "but" makes no sense. Are you just building posts?
    Actually you didn't say that.

What you said was quite correct - SE's don't mind .php or .html, however - changing to wordpress will not only change the file type but also the url structure (because of the way WP creates a folder for every post) so not only will the file type change, the site structure will also change...
    Hence the comment
    Originally Posted by nandla
    I'm agree but i think changing in URL structure may result in loss of PR
    is perfectly valid.

@googledon: changing the file type (.html to .php) shouldn't affect your PR (after redirecting you ought to get your PR passed to your new urls) BUT Matt Cutts did confirm that 301 redirects can - on some occasions - result in loss of some PR... so it might cause a problem for your PR, although I would expect your home page to remain at PR6... The bigger issue is that you will likely turn your 80 pages into something approaching 120+, which means your PR will be "spread thinner" (thus lower).

Having said all of that - retaining PR isn't as important as building the best site to suit your users.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    The bigger issue is that you will likely turn your 80 pages into something approaching 120+...
    Why will that happen?
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use Drupal and I used a free module which allows me to assign any URL to any page. I'd be surprised if Wordpress doesn't have a similar module which is capable fo this.

If this isn't the case then either stick with what you've got or go for something like Drupal which is capable of retaining your current path structure.
  13. Contributing User

You could switch it over, but you'd have to do perma 301 redirects to all of the wordpress articles from the .html versions so you don't loose the serps for those.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by googledon
    There is site with .html extension and having Google PR 6 for index page and Google PR 6 or 5 for internal pages. Now we are planning shift the same website in wordpress theme. site has less than 80 pages.

Few question:
    1. Is site in wordpress is better than .html website?
    2. Which website will be prefer by Search Engines (wordpress based or html)?

Thanks
    Make use of 301 redirects to protect your page rank
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

As I do agree with the basic theory of this, I also disagree. Wordpress sites have had (in my use) a better and faster experience not only being indexed, but also SERPs. Since it's a CMS, there are a lot of great things that amazing programmers have done. In addition, there are several great plugins for SEO.

I'm not saying that's all you need, but IMHO, Wordpress (or any other CMS [sic]) are WAY easier to rank than standard HTML static sites.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  19. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    As I do agree with the basic theory of this, I also disagree. Wordpress sites have had (in my use) a better and faster experience not only being indexed, but also SERPs. Since it's a CMS, there are a lot of great things that amazing programmers have done. In addition, there are several great plugins for SEO.

I'm not saying that's all you need, but IMHO, Wordpress (or any other CMS [sic]) are WAY easier to rank than standard HTML static sites.
    Your opinion is appreciated my friend, but when you go out on a limb like this (Wordpress easier to rank than HTML site) you should expect to be asked to back it up with at the very least a little bit of research. Do you have anything besides your opinion that suggests this to be fact?
  21. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Your opinion is appreciated my friend, but when you go out on a limb like this (Wordpress easier to rank than HTML site) you should expect to be asked to back it up with at the very least a little bit of research. Do you have anything besides your opinion that suggests this to be fact?
    Nothing documented. I know, I know. I was waiting for that comment :/

The only facts I can back this up is the following: I don't advertise myself as an SEO, just web designer. When I have a client with a small budget, I use a CMS with a custom design, long story short is I can see a lot of my clients (for fairly uncompetitive keywords) rank fairly decent. I've never seen it (or noticed it) while doing static HTML sites.

Reasons for it:

a.) You can customize the Wordpress page titles on the fly (no more wordpres.com/p1)
    b.) Many plugins such as "All in one SEO" which will help you optimize your page titles
    c.) Several sitemap tools that auto submit your RSS's and blog posts to various outlets - depending on if one thinks it's important, it will also auto update your site map once pages are created or removed
    d.) The nature of a wordpress site is for dynamic changes, constant updates and new content which is difference from the 'stale' ish style of a static HTML sites.
    e.) Menu structure, (not wordpress specific) but with any CMS's youre working with a system (usually with the big guys) that is EASY to create breadcrumbs for, and with proper interlinking you can have google sitelinks. Which I have done and created on several Joomla sites.

Again, just my 2 cents and what I've noticed - again, I'll say I dont advertise myself as a SEO, but I do try to pick up things along the way.

I hope that adds a little more detail into my theories and suggestions.

And if anything seems wrong, please reply - I try to be as open minded as possible with all this.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Nice post, thanks for the clarification.
    • Jesus Nofollow agrees : 187 on an undercover cop
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can easily setup Wordpress CMS to have .html url's

Settings->> Permalinks ==>>Custom structure:

/%category%/%postname%.html (with category in url)

or

/%postname%.html (without category in url)

in the field. In this way you can maintain exactly the same structure of the url's, without any PR loss.