1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site Wide Linking intresting results

hello

I am a reader in the forum for quite some time just wanted to share something
    with all of you

I own a site thst is being optimized by a reputable firm (they have some good results in my industry)
    I was told to sit back and wait. two days ago my site shows on the serps somewhere on the 500 in
    a very competative keyword. (pr 4 site)
    I decided to expirement and create my own site.. with a brute force of site wide links from 10 websites
    I brought this site to a PR 4 (no serps results yet). I find it interesting that just sitewide links I created
    a site with pr4.
    any opinions?

guy

d
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think quantity and variety play important roles.
    I have some sites with high pagerank but not so good SERPS, and what they have in common is lots of sitewide type links, but not a great variety of sources for those links.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

one link can get you to a PR4. getting good SERPs is the hard part.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think sitewide links are evil. As a test; I bought a sitewide link for a page with a very generic keyword (didn't bring much traffic or sales, but I still ranked high for). I was at #9 for it. I bought a sitewide link going to that page - POOF down in the 40's now (I'm up to #34 as of today). Site I bought link was pretty related too.
  9. Contributing User

lorien,
    Inbound links (sitewides or any other kind) will not penalize or otherwise decrease your SERPs position. Inbound links don't do that, because search engines cannot control who or how a site links to you. There worst thing that can happen with a sitewide is that it would become a waste of money because it doesn't increase your SERPs in significant way (that can happen and does happen).

You are making the mistake of assigning blame to the obvious (the sitewide links that you bought) when there are probably a variety of subtle factors that might have influenced your drop in position (competitors that may have overtaken you, new competitors optimizing for the same term, a slight algo tweak that was not favorable for your site, etc...).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It is possible that you are right - I don't have a ton of terms to show a trend across a multitude of fields/urls/keywords - but when you get the link up, a few days later the ranking disappears or drops dramatically; and the trend had been positive before buying the link, its a whole lot easier to make a correlation between the two.

--EDIT--

I don't have tracking on the keyword I am talking about above. But here is another example I have.

http://www.4intrepid.com/pictures/bookends.jpg

I bought this on the 8th of october. "bookends" going from a book-related site. Sitewide link. Immediately, the link had an impact; then down to nothing again. (I'm not sure why history isn't showing prior to Oct 11th or so). If its not a penalty, then its very interesting, at the very least.
    Last edited by lorien1973; Nov 10th, 2004 at 11:16 AM.
  13. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

We picked up a moderate site wide through a industry "membership" wherein we traded links. I didn't even know I was going to receive a site wide (about 20 pages). No impact in the serps.

I saw a site ranked below ours having picked up the same sitewide recently. They had a boost in serps. Then they too sank back a bit. Also saw some interesting bls they picked up...which I can too.

The sites above us have voluminous old site wides. It certainly hasn't caused their sites to drop in serps.

Dave
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

sitewide does give individual link value, but very unlikely you get negative effect. The only reason sitewide gets popular is big website selling link as sitewide to earn more.