1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is This Site Why The Panda and Penguins Don't Like Me???

A few months ago I took over doing a small bit of SEO on two really similar sites in terms of the content and the link building strategies. The recent Google updates hit one of them hard from 3rd position to 34th and the other was pretty tame in that it went from 6th to 8th.

I've studied them both hard and one main difference stands out which is that the one that took the big hit has 5000+ links coming from a site called sapling (dot) info.

As a novice it would be good to know if this site looks like what might of caused the recent drop in rankings.

Many thanks

Jenny
  3. No Profile Picture

Had no replies so took a leap and decided to remove said link above. Is it just a matter of waiting for Google to crawl the said site and notice my link has gone or is there going to be a time delay before I can see how this will affect my rankings?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Count yourself lucky that your site didn't go from the 3rd page to zero like other websites which makes it so hard to optimize and get it back on track.

The Google Update is targeting on websites that have amounts of incoming links at a very fast pace - meaning those that are overdone with SEO.
  7. No Profile Picture

I have never been on 3rd page. Went from 3rd position to 34th position. Also don't have links coming in at an unnatural fast pace.

My query here is simply this one site which provided me with 5000+ incoming links (and has done for several years by the looks of it).

Just wanted to know if the site looked bad to fellow SEOers and if I have done the right thing in removing it? Also any predicted timescales I should expect to see the results from removing it???
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Personally I would ignore the above comment about building links to fast, because that's not what the latest google updates are addressing.

I just took a quick look at the home page and a couple of internal pages of the site you removed your link from, and whilst it looks rather ad heavy IMO, I wouldn't say having a link on that site would cause a drop in your rankings.

Although 5k+ links from that single site could certainly show red flags to google for a paid link, so removing it could prove to be a help.

1. How old is your site that's lost rankings?
    2. What other seo have you been doing for it in the past 3 months?
    3. And would you mind sharing the url so people can take a look to see if they can notice anything? (please post your url as domain.com without http://www.)
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  11. No Profile Picture

I can't divuldge my domain but it is over 7 years old. I have only come in in the last 2 months and I know that all my methods have been good practice so am going through all the work done prior to my arrival. It's hard to say exactly what's been done before I got here but looks like a steady building of "okay" links with the only stand out problems being the paid for link mentioned (this appears to be the only obvious paid link) and that there is probably an overly large percentage of exact match anchor text links (which are proving difficult to delete so I'm trying to amend or dilute)
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

well without giving the url and more detailed information there's not a lot anyone can do other then give you guess work just like your doing.

One last suggestion I can suggest you look at is opensiteexplorer.com and use the "Anchor Text" tab to see if the SEO before has over done the link building for the keyword's' that have lost rankings.

If that's the case, it could quite simply be that you site has been punished for being over optimised in that it has an overly unnatural amount of links using xyz anchor text and thus google can see your link profile is unnatural and links have been built to manipulate rankings.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

some people have been trhown to zero, you are on 34th, dont lose hope, try to build it up. I would advise my fellow friends that they should always care when building backlinks, backlinks should be built continously and slowly, dont just create thousands of them in one day and then nothing for months, thats why penguin has affected many sites.
    Good luck to all
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by jenny22x
    Had no replies so took a leap and decided to remove said link above. Is it just a matter of waiting for Google to crawl the said site and notice my link has gone or is there going to be a time delay before I can see how this will affect my rankings?
    Huh? you got rid of the 5000 links from them to you or you had a link going to them that you deleted?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Yes you may be right. The two algorithms Penalty will be applicable to both of your sites as you have said that you have created the site which is very similar to the previous one and the only change is domain; and also you have followed the same link building strategy as getting vast number of links from a particular non legitimate site. Panda will through your website from search results for content duplication and Penguin will penalize you for link spamming. Atleast read now the BlackHat SEO techniques and learn what should not be done while link building and optimizing your website to search engines.
    Last edited by varrul; May 7th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo