1. No Profile Picture
    bwj
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site structure question

Hello
    Currently working on a new site and worried about duplicate/thin content. The nature of the niche means that some will be duplicated, though obviously will try to re-write as much as possible. But my question relates to my site structure.

Each company listed on the site will have a company overview page, and then up to ten product pages. Rather than make that 11 pages, some of which may include very similar copy, or not very much copy, I am thinking about having one page per company, then if the user clicks on product one, the URL remains the same, but the relevant product info gets pulled from the database and include on the same company overview page.

From a user point of view it looks and feels right. But I am using a "document.getElementById" onclick within the product link, so if you hover over each product link, it just sees href=#. Is this bad? Can google follow document.getElementById, and if so, what will they make of one page having multiple possible content?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice.
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by bwj
    The nature of the niche means that some will be duplicated, though obviously will try to re-write as much as possible.
    This is a very strange statement. I have never heard of a niche of such a nature that it's impossible to write original content in. Any reason you can't recreate all the content?

But my question relates to my site structure.

Each company listed on the site will have a company overview page, and then up to ten product pages. Rather than make that 11 pages, some of which may include very similar copy, or not very much copy, I am thinking about having one page per company, then if the user clicks on product one, the URL remains the same, but the relevant product info gets pulled from the database and include on the same company overview page.

From a user point of view it looks and feels right. But I am using a "document.getElementById" onclick within the product link, so if you hover over each product link, it just sees href=#. Is this bad? Can google follow document.getElementById, and if so, what will they make of one page having multiple possible content?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice.
    Well, I don't know the specific application that you are working with, but I'll give you the general answer. If the content is not a permanent part of the page, it won't help the SEO of the page. Make the content load into the page. Use a collapse/expand link.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 24th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.