1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Site structure changes

I am toying with the idea of making some big changes to my site theautolocksmith.co.uk

The site is ranking well for most keywords but I am conscious of new competitor sites emerging and don't want to sit still and be beaten.

I believe my index (about us page) is very similar to my (services page), and could be better combined and better written.

I am planning on deleting the present (services page) and changing index page to (Auto Locksmith Services) and combining all info and internal site links on this page.

Good idea or very risky???

Whilst it may sound crazy as I'm ranking well, I'm aware you cant sit still in SEO!!

Looking forward to hearing good advise here please
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

If I understand correctly you have two similar pages?

I would suggest that you just diversify your content further.

Your home page and serivces page should have a clear distinction. If they are targetting the same keyword/s you are missing a trick.

Also, never just delete a page. If it is ranking and getting traffic you can always 301 redirect it to a new page but I would suggest it is wise to leave that page there.

You are correct that you can't sit still and its good you are being proactive.

I am very much a fan of the phrase "if it aint broke - dont fix it!". Just add more content and get more links, keep an eye on your competitors and go one step further.
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by tstolber
    If I understand correctly you have two similar pages?

I would suggest that you just diversify your content further.

Your home page and serivces page should have a clear distinction. If they are targetting the same keyword/s you are missing a trick.

Also, never just delete a page. If it is ranking and getting traffic you can always 301 redirect it to a new page but I would suggest it is wise to leave that page there.

You are correct that you can't sit still and its good you are being proactive.

I am very much a fan of the phrase "if it aint broke - dont fix it!". Just add more content and get more links, keep an eye on your competitors and go one step further.
    I agree. I think I would just try to reoptimize/reorganize your content so both pages have different key words and different purposes but I wouldn't delete your service page just change it. If it already has links and is ranking well why get rid of it? I would just pick different key words to go after on that page. From what I can see your service page isn't really optimized for anything useful. Why not try to find a different keyword to optimize for on that page?
  7. Contributing User

Thanks for the replies. Good advise.

My only problem is that most of the information on my home page is talking about the different types of car key ./ lock isuues we can assist with. Essentialy this is my services.

Stuggeling to come up with ways of differentiating the pages.

Someome suggested that my services should be the home page and about us should be a seperate page.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks