1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site moved, google keeps former site, double content now?

Hi everybody,

after a lot of help from you guys I decided to move to another free host with more capabilities. The only wory I have left now is that google doesn't remove my former site. It was doing well untill something happened, I suspect my former hosting company (my provider) having asked google not to index their subdirs anymore. As a result I lost cache, new pages weren't found, ....

Now that google is crawling my new site, no deep crawl yet, but home and sitemap have been crawled http://jefpatat.freefronthost.com/log.txt, I am wondering if the old page, which doesn't exist anymore, is harming me.

A couple of days ago, my new homepage http://jefpatat.freefronthost.com was showing up in google, then it dissapeared and now my sitemap is showing up http://jefpatat.freefronthost.com/sitemap.htm. Still, for both results I had to click the "repeat the search with the omitted results included"-link. And my old pages are still showing up, presumably because google doesn't crawl them anymore.

I am wondering if google is thinking of this as double content?
    I can't apply a 301 on the old pages.

Kind regards, Jef
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jan 17th, 2005 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Removed live link
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jef,

free hosting is always a problem for the very reason that you can't usually use 301/303 redirects.

As far as Google is concerned, your new site is brand new and has nothing to do with the old one - that means you are starting at the bottom of the ladder again.

This is just a suggestion but I would be inclined to :-

1. Take advantage of the fact its a new site and do a face-lift. Improve and tweak the site pages/layout.

2. Remove every page from the old server (just delete them) - except for the home page which I'd redo as a summary of what the new site is about along with a "Site moved - click here to go..." link so that anyone who has book-marked your old site will still find the new one.

Alternatively....

You could just leave the old site there - it's not doing any harm!
    Again update the new site so that it is effectively an ALL NEW site... the basic content may be the same but with additions/improvements but presumeably over time this will evolve even more.

A sinle link from the old site to the new one may also help bookmarked users navigate to the new one.

Having said all of this - if you make any money out of the site then maybe it's time to start thinking about a proper paid for host.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JonPick
    As far as Google is concerned, your new site is brand new and has nothing to do with the old one - that means you are starting at the bottom of the ladder again.
    The new site is the same as the old one, same content, ... except on a different host with a different url

1. Take advantage of the fact its a new site and do a face-lift. Improve and tweak the site pages/layout.
    Is there something wrong with it? I like it and it's pure css. html file only 20 kb

2. Remove every page from the old server (just delete them) - except for the home page which I'd redo as a summary of what the new site is about along with a "Site moved - click here to go..." link so that anyone who has book-marked your old site will still find the new one.
    I did that before I posted this thread

You could just leave the old site there - it's not doing any harm!
    What's with the double content penalty?

Having said all of this - if you make any money out of the site then maybe it's time to start thinking about a proper paid for host.
    I don't mean to make money out of it. I just added adsense to make some money to get a paid host. Of course the money I make depends on the traffic which depends on google. It's pure amateur work, not business, just wan't to help people new to amplifier construction. Whatever I earn more I will give to charity. I'm not into it for the money, but still I would like to be found so I can be a good resource.

Any idea why the homepage showed and now dissapeared?

Kind regards, Jef
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What I mean is, although content is the same, google does not see it as a migration from the old site... simply a brand new site owned and probably managed by someone different!
    So you start from the bottom of the pile.... page rank has to be earned from scratch.... new backlinks (ie. links to you from other sites) have to be changed etc.

As for appearing/disappearing - don't worry. Google consists of lots of computers at different data centers - when you do a search at "google.com" you don't always hit the same server/database. This will settle down.

As for duplicate data... hmmm... I would have thought that because the old site has been removed, even though google has a snapshot in it's cache you should still be OK.
    Just reword some of the paragraphs to make sure - Google isn't interested in graphics anyway.