1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Site Move and PageRank - Keywords in Domain

Hello,

I have a simple question. I've searched for the last hour looking for an answer, but I can't quite find an answer.

===

I have two tourism sites. My first site was created 3 years for a region, but then I created a new site last year for the whole country. In this example, the first site is GoVisitNevada.tld, and the second is GoVisitAmerica.tld. (these are not the actual sites!).

GoVisitNevada ranks highly for the 'nevada' keyword (#2). GoVisitAmerica has high rankings for some specific terms, but isn't on the top pages for 'america'.

GoVisitAmerica has a structure like www.GoVisitAmerica.tld/Nevada/Attractions/... or www.GoVisitAmerica.tld/Florida/Hotels...

Both sites have a PR of 4.

===

Right now, GoVisitAmerica/Nevada has all the content of GoVisitNevada. It's been copied for over a year.

I have read Google's instructions on moving a site, and understand about 301 redirects, etc.

It's important that I maintain my #2 ranking for the 'nevada' keyword. Note that the old domain (GoVisitNevada) has the keyword in the domain, whereas in the new site it's only in the local path.

===

I have two questions:

(1) If I properly 301 redirect individual pages, and the root domain to the appropriate new page (www.GoVisitNevada.tld -> www.GoVisitAmerica.tld/Nevada), should I preserve my #2 ranking for the 'nevada' keyword?

(2) What happens to PR? Does the new domain absorb the PR from the old domain?

===

I appreciate any reply. I have searched the forums but I haven't seen this directly answered. Other websites don't provide any reference or anything...some people saying it transfers 90% of the PR value, but I have no idea how they came up with the number.

Cheers!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Re-Directing individual pages is the way to go, you may lose your ranking for a bit while the spiders, algorithms etc tries to understand what is going on (this happened to me last year) but you should gain it back. I also notified Google via the Webmaster Tools Site (under configuration>change of address) which should help although notifying that the site has moved to a folder may be a little difficult though as you can only notify about moving a domain to another domain, not a folder of a domain.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think it depends on the two sites...if the Nevada site is identical to America/Nevada I'd do redirects or remove the identical data and use the internal link structure to boost America/Nevada. Keeping Nevada alive with different content can use internal links to the America site.
    Like changing the duplicate content on the Nevada site to hold different content the America site doesn't have.
    i.e. Nevada/hotels has the same hotels listed at America/Nevada/Hotels....remove the hotels on the Nevada site and make the link to that page that goes to America/Nevada/Hotels. This way you've cleaned up your dup content and got a link out of the deal from a pr 4 page.
    Or go the redirect route. Ones a little more work but I think it's more beneficial using it as a linking base.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, the 'Nevada' site has identical content to the 'America/Nevada' site. I don't want to split the content across domains (or make new content for one of them). 'Nevada' doesn't have anything unique.

It's not a problem to use 301 for every page on the old Nevada site (including the root). However, what do I do about notifying Google? Their webmaster tools don't allow me to redirect from a domain to a folder on a new domain (like Grizzler pointed out). Any thoughts on this aspect?

I've already added 301 redirects for some of the more popular pages on the old Nevada site. They're already transferred over, with the same ranking (#1, #2, or #3) in Google, and the new urls.

Should I just go ahead and 301 redirect everything (including the root)?

Thanks!