Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Site meta title question

Hello,

I have been doing optimizication for some years now and I have been reading some posts wich make me think about the meta title.

I have my site divided into 3 levels.

1 main page
    2 categories
    3 products

-on page 1 I have general keyword for the full site in the meta title Ex: <TITLE>Books</TITLE>

-on pages on level 2 I have category keyword in the meta title
    Ex:
    <TITLE>Decor Books</TITLE>

-on level 3 (product pages) I have specific product key words in the meta title
    Ex:
    <TITLE>book name</TITLE>

I want to know if its good for google optimization, to have in the product pages (level 3) including at the beginning the category keyword before the 3rd level product keyword ?(book name).
    Ex. <TITLE>Decor Books + book name</TITLE>

Is this considred as duplicate content meta tags?

Thinking about it well, doing this would give me higher rankings as google would see all product pages are in the "decor books" category.

Am I right?

Appreciate any opinion.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Title is not a meta. And is very important. Much more important than meta's. IMO there doesnt seem to be anyting wrong with what you are doing. It not spam. As a general rule what you want which is most important about that page should come first. But really title is so very important on getting conversions. Write your title for the user not google. If you desire that page to become a landing page think how it will look when people see it listed in the results. If it display and hooks the person to the relevant object/good than you have a much better chance of people clicking on the page and therefore a much better chance of getting a sale.

Having different titles is important factor in avoiding the supplemetal index. But in my experince the level of difference does not seem to mater that much.

good luck
    Live the moment
  5. rod@missionop.com

gazzahk corrected the terminology so won't labor on that but will add it is important to be term specific as so many different levels of people attempting to do SEO will read and assume one thing when you mean another.

I would recommend 3 distinctly different styles of title elements <title></title> for root page, categories, products

Root

<title>Primary Phrase, Secondary Phrases @ Company</title>

Categories

<title>Primary Phrase @ Company</title>

Products

<title>Product Phrase, $0.00 Price @ Company</title>
  7. Contributing User

So you recommend to leave it as it is now.

doing this <TITLE>Decor Books + book name</TITLE> could lead me to supplemental results, correct?

I have the same <META NAME="Keywords" content="keyword 2, keyword 2, keyword3"> for all my URLs. Could this lead me also to supplemental results?

Should I errase meta keywords?
    Last edited by chechogr; Jan 28th, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
  9. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by chechogr
    So you recommend to leave it as it is now.

doing this <TITLE>Decor Books + book name</TITLE> could lead me to supplemental results, correct?

I have the same <META NAME="Keywords" content="keyword 2, keyword 2, keyword3"> for all my URLs. Could this lead me also to supplemental results?

Should I errase meta keywords?
    What ever you are comfortable with. I would deleted "meta everything" myself.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    What ever you are comfortable with. I would deleted "meta everything" myself.
    This is not about feeling comfortable with something. Its about following the rules.

Is it a fact that having the same meta keywords can lead me to supplemental results?

I want to know if its a fact to delete them.

Thanks
  13. Roll the dice.. and live

This is not about feeling comfortable with something. Its about following the rules.

Is it a fact that having the same meta keywords can lead me to supplemental results?

I want to know if its a fact to delete them.

Thanks
    Facts in SEO are pretty rare comodities. Different is better. IMO Try to have only two to three different relevant keywords on each page. Having said that consensus opinion is for the big three it makes no difference.

meta description should be different. mainly once agian for SEM not SEO

But as fathom said if ya delete the lot it is not (IMO) likely to make the slighest bit of difference to SERPS.

Some here argue that they put meta keywords just incase the big three start using them again. If you suscribe to this theory make them diferent.

Me personally. i agree with fathom. I dont even bother with them anymore.
  15. Contributing User

Will delete them then.

I have a question about meta desc:
    Could repeating keywords through the full site on the meta description (some the same, some different) lead me to supplemental results?

In one of my sites I have something like this:
    URL1 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">
    URL2 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">
    URL3 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">

Should I have all different for better rankings or avoiding supplemental results?

Thanks
    Last edited by chechogr; Jan 28th, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
  17. Roll the dice.. and live

Will delete them then.

I have a question about meta desc:
    Could repeating keywords through the full site on the meta description (some the same, some different) lead me to supplemental results?

In one of my sites I have something like this:
    URL1 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">
    URL2 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">
    URL3 <meta name="description" content="Same key word. This part is different in all URLs. Same key word">

Should I have all different for better rankings or avoiding supplemental results?

Thanks
    IMO should be fine. Think about how they read in the description when they come up on searched in the snipet on the search engine. Most important point of meta description is this.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Who says the META DESCRIPTION is not important? Could someone point me to the press release by Google ... or at least to some shoddy experiment by a self proclaimed guru?

If you look at the output of the toolbar server Google clearly stores the title and meta description along with your page rank info ...
    $VAR1 = { 'Q' => 'info:http://www.streetdefender.com', 'TM' => '0.025849', 'VER' => '3.2', 'PARAM' => { 'client' => { 'value' => 'navclient-auto', 'original_value' => 'navclient-auto' }, 'q' => { 'value' => 'info:http://www.streetdefender.com', 'original_value' => 'info:http://www.streetdefender.com' }, 'ch' => { 'value' => '61651585969', 'original_value' => '61651585969' } }, 'RES' => { 'SN' => '1', 'M' => '0', 'R' => { 'S' => 'Keychain Alarms are legal to carry everywhere (even on airplanes) and so simple to use. Personal safety products to protect you at school, in the workplace, ...', 'RK' => '5', 'HAS' => { 'RT' => {}, 'C' => { 'CID' => 'vlKt4wxDSpcJ', 'SZ' => '18k' }, 'L' => {} }, 'T' => 'Personal Alarms - Safety and Self Defense', 'N' => '1', 'UE' => 'http://www.streetdefender.com/', 'LANG' => 'en', 'U' => 'http://www.streetdefender.com/' }, 'EN' => '1' } };
    I have highlighted ...
    'S' => ' META Description
    'T' => Title

So clearly Google thinks it is important enough to store ... why would they ignore it?
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by rtchar
    So clearly Google thinks it is important enough to store ... why would they ignore it?
    I don't used them period... show me a single website that got ranked because of a Meta Description... I'll add a link and beat it.

Remove all you unimportant links... and see what your Meta Description does.

The more you waste on little things the less you do on the things that matter... you're ok with that... GREAT!

...Clearly we are born with tonsils so they must be important... why would anyone have them removed?

Comments on this post

• rtchar : The medical community now calls that "unnecesary surgery" :-)
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Of course ... Google prefers on page text. META data is probably 99th out of the 100+ things that go into determining rank.

Anytime I have tried to eliminate the description Google picks up the first few characters on the page ... usually navigation or tag lines.

Then several pages drop into supplemental because the descriptions are all the same.

I prefer to have more control ...
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    I don't used them period... show me a single website that got ranked because of a Meta Description... I'll add a link and beat it.

Remove all you unimportant links... and see what your Meta Description does.

The more you waste on little things the less you do on the things that matter... you're ok with that... GREAT!

...Clearly we are born with tonsils so they must be important... why would anyone have them removed?
    I will not remove meta description in 100 years, They do help me rank.
  27. rod@missionop.com

I will not remove meta description in 100 years, They do help me rank.
    Unfortunately, the only proof ever offered is...

"see the page with Meta Description ranks for HEKD-E78R-E9FK-F99F-MEKW-E384-3LE0-940R ... YOU CAN SEE THAT WITH YOUR OWN EYES".

Case in point it helps you rank in the top 1000... it will make absolutely no difference in the top 30... since competition will never be that close with owners' developments so consistent and constant and Google unchanging...

Get real.
    Last edited by fathom; Jan 28th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
  29. rod@missionop.com

I prefer to have more control ...
    I prefer real control with real text... and with DIV, CSS and body text you get that.

Then several pages drop into supplemental because the descriptions are all the same.
    Sounds like a lame copywriting issue to me and not an SEO issue... write better copy isn't just a savior to this problem - it's better for visitors.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: