1. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Site design and ranking question

I'm in the process of purchasing a website and all of it's contents. The website gets about 1000 visitors per day and I'm purchasing it for about $1300. First of all do you all think that's a fair price?

But my main question is... The site looks horrible and I would like to add better graphic. Move the text around etc and just make it look more professional. I'm assuming this will change it's ranking... Here's the question. If I do this. If the ranking drops and decide to just re-add the old index page that ranked well previously. Would Google put my site back in the exact same position? Thanks guys

Brad
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

$1300 USD I would guess it is a pretty fair price.

Here is how you go about. Make a copy of the website and place it on on of your offline webservers. Change the graphics, test the page weight? Is it the same?
    Change the copy. Is the keyword density about the same? Change the site structure (if you intend to), setup the redirects on any and all urls you abondon. Try the spider the site. Is the the same feel and flow and the old site? Once your feel you are ready take the new site online and take the old site offline (but keep it on tape).

If the ranking drops and decide to just re-add the old index page that ranked well previously. Would Google put my site back in the exact same position?
    If all offpage factors where the same then yes, but they never are.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do I buy or do I keep my $$$

Can we see it or is it a secret.....
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

HELLO..

There is actually a solution to your graphic design issues. CSS has the power to allow you to include many images on the page without having them present on the actual code of the page.

This can be very usefull for a few reasons. These include keeping the web page size low, eliminating dirty, ugly code and CSS is great for W3 standards.

There should be an article which I wrote coming out in the next week pertaining to CSS and their power when trying to build pretty, seo friendly web pages.

CBR
  9. SEO Professional

Sorry Clunsford. Yes, it is a secret ;-)

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give that a try. I would assume I'd see the difference in ranking within 1-2 months time. THe thing that kind of scares me a bit with the website is it ranks #1 for a pretty highly targetted phrase. Yet, the site has very few backlinks and is only a PR5, which makes me think most of it's ranking is by onpage factors. I'll see what happens though.

Anyone else have thoughts on this or have tried something similar to this in the past?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Anyone else have thoughts on this or have tried something similar to this in the past?
    We often give SEO advice before site redesign, and most of the time it works out fine.
    Good luck to you.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hush - hush

Notwithstanding actually viewing the site, and based on your number of daily visitors alone I'd say it was a steal. My first thought is worset case I'd redirect that traffic to some affiliate program offering the same type products.

Again, I'm taking a silly wild-assed guess but I'd probably buy it based on visitors and type os product / service it sells.

The reatof the issues are details that can be remedied.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I redesigned Jan1st and noticed no change with new caches.

Most on page factors were the same though, being same content, similar title tags, meta tags, etc. All external factors were the same.
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'd buy it for that price in a flash.

The only reservation would be if I had zero interest in the content - it's hard to run or improve a site if you don't know or care about the subject.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Verify the stats 1st

Yeah $1300.00 is a good price, but I would verify that the 1000 visitors a statistic is accurate.

The guy/girl could have bought 250,000 hits from one of those spam emails for $9.95 and is now going to make a substantial profit on his/her investment ;)

I don't mean to sound paranoid or cynical, just be careful, the web is still the wild west in many respects.
  21. SEO Professional

Originally Posted by bpmee
    Yeah $1300.00 is a good price, but I would verify that the 1000 visitors a statistic is accurate.
    Good point. The lady was actually very good though, in showing me the statistics. She just forwarded me the actual charts and graphs for the past 2 years and traffic was pretty steady, give or take 200 visitors...

I think I'll go ahead and buy it now. I had emailed her to see if she could send me any stats on what keywords brought her the traffic. I didn't want to get it all from 1 keyword... as that didn't seem very stable.

Egol: the market is actually something that would add-on to what I already sell with my other websites. I'm going to buy it. You guys talked me into it :-)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Critter I'd be interested in reading that article, if you could let me know when it's published and where to view it.

Thanks,
    Darren
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by leedslad73
    Critter I'd be interested in reading that article, if you could let me know when it's published and where to view it.

Thanks,
    Darren

NP-I will private pm you when the article is publsihed. SHould be early next week.

Cheers