1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

On-site Blog vs off-site Blog vs Article

I regularly write original content related to the topic of my website. It's a very specialized topic, so our site ranks fairly well for our keywords (room for improvement), but has no where near the traffic/authority of large article sites like ezinearticles, scribd, etc.

Is there a general rule about which of the following will help me out more as far as driving traffic to my site? It's a membership site, so I just want high visibility in SERPs, etc.

1) post my articles to my current on-site blog, which would seemingly increase the authority of my site.

2) start an off-site blog at one of the major blog sites and post my articles there (with keyword rich links back to my site of course).

3) post my articles to "article" type sites such as ezinearticles, scribd, with keyword rich links back to my site, and an author profile of course.

I can see advantages to all three, but I was wondering if there is a general rule about one being much better than the others, or if some sort of diversified posting strategy works best.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Roa
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by asherpuppy
    I regularly write original content related to the topic of my website. It's a very specialized topic, so our site ranks fairly well for our keywords (room for improvement), but has no where near the traffic/authority of large article sites like ezinearticles, scribd, etc.
    If these are niche articles and you're already ranking "fairly well" for your keywords, how much improvement do you think being on an authority site would grant, i.e. if everyone who searches for articles on your topic is already finding your content, then who else would find it if it were on another site?

1) post my articles to my current on-site blog, which would seemingly increase the authority of my site.
    Great! You're generating content on your site which means you get the links to those articles. This is the best strategy.

2) start an off-site blog at one of the major blog sites and post my articles there (with keyword rich links back to my site of course).
    Now you're talking about helping someone else's site (since natural backlinks will point to them) and any link juice received by these pages is spread out amongst the links to your site and the other site's internal links.

3) post my articles to "article" type sites such as ezinearticles, scribd, with keyword rich links back to my site, and an author profile of course.
    See option 2. I say this is even worse since now each of the natural backlinks is spread out amongst the submission sites i.e. person A links to your article on site A while person B links to your article on site B. The link juice is even more diluted now since each submission site will have their own set of internal links.

Option 1 is by far the best. Since you get all the backlinks for your work, your site increases in authority and those 3rd party sites don't make AdSense money off of your hard work.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : just find people to expose your articles that always remain on your web s ite.
    • EGOL agrees : Good advice
    • Lb1878 agrees : Well said
    Last edited by Roa; Nov 17th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply, it is tremendously helpful.

Would the answer change if I was trying to rank for a new keyword that I currently don't rank very well for and don't get many natural backlinks for? Could links from a very highly ranked site give a kickstart to the process?
    Last edited by asherpuppy; Nov 17th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Roa
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Would the answer change if I was trying to rank for a new keyword that I currently don't rank very well for and don't get many natural backlinks for?
    I still wouldn't change my answer. Write an article and then let people know about it. If you get the attention of webmasters who have relevant sites and who have visitors that would benefit from your article, they're likely to link to you just to boost the usefulness of their own site (by becoming a hub of sorts to other subject-related sites such as yours).

Could links from a very highly ranked site give a kickstart to the process?
    Could it? Yes, but the real questions is will it. A highly-ranked site will not necessarily benefit you (in the way you want) if it isn't relevant, though of course I'd never turn down a link.
    Last edited by Roa; Nov 18th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

I would go for option 1)
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

distinctseo agrees: just find people to expose your articles that always remain on your web s ite.
    How do you find people to expose your articles?
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.