1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

significant ranking drop :(

I have seen significant ranking drop about a week ago for all my major keywords

I used to enjoy #1-#4 spots for all my main keywords for the last 4 years .. i worked hard on getting good quality links.
    But then BAM all rankings dropped 6+ points, some keywords completely dissapeared from the first 10 pages

Has anyone seen this happen? Please help, I feel like crying right now ..
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Any notice in WMT?

While most would suggest PENGUIN issue without more details on your link types, diversity of link anchors and landing pages for referrals it purely guessing at this point.
  5. SEO Since 97

I believe and this is just a guess. I think there are going to be a lot of sites dropping like yours the more disavow link lists google receives.
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I believe and this is just a guess. I think there are going to be a lot of sites dropping like yours the more disavow link lists google receives.
    Nay... a disavowed link from any website has 0% impact on the linking domain. Even if there are millions of disavowed from a single platform the disavowing only implies "I don't want the benefits".
  9. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by fathom
    Nay... a disavowed link from any website has 0% impact on the linking domain. Even if there are millions of disavowed from a single platform the disavowing only implies "I don't want the benefits".
    That's kinda what I'm saying. If I had a site that was mainly for links that was passing juice and started showing up on many disavowed lists... Here's where the guess is... Google is seeing my linking site on enough lists that it turns off the juice it was passing and any other site that never sent my site in on a disavow list would also looses the juice that they were once getting...and we see threads like this...All of a sudden my site dropped, no messages in WMT...whats up? That's what I think is happening.
    Again it's just a guess, I don't think google is using the lists for just the site that turned it in...it's going into a database for their use.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

could be due to update of latest Google Panda and this may be cause due to spammy backlinks so if you want to recover than you should work as per Google's privacy policy best of luck though
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

actually, i have no outbound links going from this website at all. There are no alerts or messages on WMT. I have a retail website.

I did notice one thing on my link profile though, for whatever reason modthesims.info has almost 2000 links coming to my website, i have no idea why.

everything else seems normal

please advise
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    IMO: A disavow link is only a 'nofollow' request from the linked to page in the mind of Google. That doesn't mean crap as far as affecting rankings.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    That's kinda what I'm saying. If I had a site that was mainly for links that was passing juice and started showing up on many disavowed lists... Here's where the guess is... Google is seeing my linking site on enough lists that it turns off the juice it was passing and any other site that never sent my site in on a disavow list would also looses the juice that they were once getting...and we see threads like this...All of a sudden my site dropped, no messages in WMT...whats up? That's what I think is happening.
    Again it's just a guess, I don't think google is using the lists for just the site that turned it in...it's going into a database for their use.
    I doubt it and here's why... scalability & quality control.

You have a guess and frankly I cannot refute it but I'll use a known example that parallels your guess.

Google says it tries hard to reset domain links that are no longer linking for their originally expressed purposes.

Man am I out of business!

On average I pick up 20-50 expired domains a month for the past 13 years and in all that time I have never EVER gotten one where the links were (as Google claims) RESET.

Am I the luckiest guy on the planet or what?

My point... scalability & quality control.

Google index is too big to be so granular and the moment that their algorithm head for granularity their false positives go through the roof.

With resetting links it would be every website that changed their design or CMS and with your guess it would be every forum, blog, social media domain - everthing with public access login like SEOCHat where Devshed has no control over what you decide to link to (you implying all members).

What did SEOChat do that was so bad?

Add a membership and got them to post... right!
    Last edited by fathom; Feb 8th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by problemo
    actually, i have no outbound links going from this website at all. There are no alerts or messages on WMT. I have a retail website.

I did notice one thing on my link profile though, for whatever reason modthesims.info has almost 2000 links coming to my website, i have no idea why.

everything else seems normal

please advise
    Sorry Google reported a bug in their WMT system so you can't use that data accruately right now.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

There was a Google update on 23rd Jan aimed at sites with thin content - Panda. eCommerce websites are very suseptable to this as they often have little text content or duplicate the suppliers text content.

Personally I think this is where Google has got it wrong. You don't go into a supermarket and see them having to right original, unique descriptions for branded products and yet somehow online this is becoming more important.

From my mailbox alot of eCommerce sites have been hit by this latest algo change. How original is your content?

PS - you said you had no outbound links at all. You should. Google likes websites that are "part of the web", not link hoarders!

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Google has done a disservice to a lot of good sites.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  23. SEO Since 97

IMO: A disavow link is only a 'nofollow' request from the linked to page in the mind of Google. That doesn't mean crap as far as affecting rankings.
    That makes sense but how does google determine no follow to some sites and not the others that are being linked to, from said site?

On average I pick up 20-50 expired domains a month for the past 13 years and in all that time I have never EVER gotten one where the links were (as Google claims) RESET.

Am I the luckiest guy on the planet or what?

My point... scalability & quality control
    The disavow tool might change that, it's only been used for what 2-3 months? I wouldn't say you were lucky yet...However the next years worth of domains could show exactly that. Again just a guess, time will tell.