1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

On a side note...

I have my main domain, and then I have several "sub sites" which do not really have anything to do with the main topic of the domain. I know this is not always good for various reasons, but..

On the side bar of my main pages, I have the links to my other sites (in the domain), each of which use a target="_blank".

Does anyone know if this is good/bad in terms of getting the sub-sites noticed? Or if it does not matter at all for anything... Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Getting your submains noticed is not necessarily done any better one way then another, each has one common result, quality links pointed at it.

You can have a side nav piece tailored for your other sites. I however caution you about duplicating this same nav on the sub domains going back to the main site, or the other sites. This would probably flag you as a link farm.

Patterns of links on each page that match perfectly aren't very stable. Just evenly spread your links around, embed them in content where necessary and just acquire good links and you will get the results you need without any issues.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well on my main page (you can see the link in my signature), the side boxes are the same on all pages. But links are also scattered about on the index (the news and updates).

As far as my sub-sites, they do not have a duplicate link structure of any kind. They just point back to my main domain in a few random places.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I cannot say if that will or will not hurt you. I can only go by testing various methods of linking and being hurt badly for the ones that followed similar patterns.

Google doesnt need alot of links on the same pages to find domains. If you have one decent PR4 or a PR5 that gets crawled alot, one text link can set the ball rolling.

Keep more good links coming into your main sites from other sources highly relevant to yours and you'll be just fine.