Thread: Shuffling SERPs

1. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Shuffling SERPs

I am wondering if google has some position shuffling built into the new algo on medium to heavy competition keywords. I have about 60 PR6 pages that hold rock solid #1 positions on secondary keywords in light to medium competition. However, on their root keyword - where competition is much heavier - the SERPs seem to be shuffling. My pages can be #3 today, #8 tomorrow and #12 yesterday.

The #1 spot on all of these SERPs is held by a giant .gov site and a few giant info sites hold constant high positions across the board. These sites deserve top billing because they have super PR and are authority sites. The rest of the sites in the SERPs have been shuffling for weeks now.

Is anyone else seeing this type of shuffle? Is it flux from an update that is still in progress or is it something built into the algo? I see this on both manual searches and when using rustybrick and digitalpoint tools that get data from the API.
    Last edited by EGOL; Feb 21st, 2004 at 08:35 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hard to say Egol but coming from someone in the "online gambling" arena I would say Im seeing the same thing on my keys. Im #1 then #2 then #4 then #1. Been going on like this for weeks. I have a feeling we will see things settle once PR is updated across all DC's. Or at least I hope.

The only saving grace I have is that thruout it all Ive stayed front page for every competitive term I track.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes I am seeing the same on 'holiday / travel' type keywords in the UK. Hasn't the PR been introduced along the data centers yet?

I'm more concerned that my cache is some 5 weeks old, and no sign of any bots from Google for nearly 2 weeks. I've being told that this won't have an impact on my rankings but it is, dropped from #3 to #109 for one particular keyword because the keyword density on the current cache to my actual site is different.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Is anyone else seeing this type of shuffle? Is it flux from an update that is still in progress or is it something built into the algo?
    I have seen this happening for a few weeks now. In fact, my results can move back and forth within an hour.

Not only does it effect positioning, it also effects backlinks. I have ***NOT*** seen changes in PR though.

twins.fan
  9. Contributing User

Sounds like something they used to call a dance

twins.fan
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Maybe google is in a continuous dance.
  13. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry

I have noticed the same thing in my pharmacutical sites. I have been number #4, #10, #3 for different keywords highly competitive for weeks, now it is gone to la la land. What is going on. Anyway, I do like what Google is doing because a lot of the spam competitors are slowly been drop in rank. Any ideas

Thanks
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes it refuses to settle down. Impossible to try to figure out what to do if you don't know if you are ranking #1, #10, or #100.
  17. Sick of BL's, PR + Google
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by conroy
    Yes it refuses to settle down. Impossible to try to figure out what to do if you don't know if you are ranking #1, #10, or #100.
    Yes a couple of my kws have gone up and down like mad.
    One has gone from #5 to #154 to #6 to #148 to #115 all in the last 5 days!!!!!!!!

It is making my head spin
    Last edited by thewormman; Apr 14th, 2004 at 01:36 PM.