1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Should metadata keywords NOT be used?

I've read that Google places zero ranking on a websites metadata keywords. If so, why include them? If anything, it just highlights to your competitor what keywords you are trying to target. Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Main reason to include them: The client's brother-in-law told him keywords are really important, and nothing you say will dissuade him. It's easier to give him what he wants.
  5. SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
    I've read that Google places zero ranking on a websites metadata keywords. If so, why include them? If anything, it just highlights to your competitor what keywords you are trying to target. Thanks
    Is Google the only SE you wish to rank on? If so don't include it, other SE still uses keyword meta data.

Your other point is pretty hilarious, your competitors will anyhow get your targeted keywords.
    Hey! I am Shobhit, working as Sr. Executive Online Marketing in Noida, India.
    I am an avid and omnivorous reader as far as SEO and smartphones are concerned. I also have a blog on Search Engine Optimization that shares a few tips and tricks on SEO.
  7. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Shobhit Saxena
    ...other SE still uses keyword meta data.
    Which ones?

P.S.: I for one can't be arsed to include a "keywords" meta tag. I'd rather used the time otherwise spent on that more wisely, e.g. to pick my nose
  9. No Profile Picture

Is Google the only SE you wish to rank on? If so don't include it, other SE still uses keyword meta data.
    What percentage of searches? If only 1%, the cost of publishing them is probably not worth the benefit.

Your other point is pretty hilarious, your competitors will anyhow get your targeted keywords.
    They might get the keywords that various search engines think I was attempting to target, but not necessarily those which were my intention. Why give a road map?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wygk
    Main reason to include them: The client's brother-in-law told him keywords are really important, and nothing you say will dissuade him. It's easier to give him what he wants.
    I talked to the brother-in-law, and he doesn't care. Am I better off not telegraphing the client's (i.e. my) intentions.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

This is a situation worth keeping under control. As dzine said you are better off picking your nose than spending time with a keywords meta tag.

But more serious is that your client has hired you but wants to you put into effect the advice of his brother in law. Today it's keywords, tomorrow it will be buying 1,000 links or Facebook likes. The day after tomorrow it will be you who takes all the blame when things go pear shaped.

There is a principle here that is much deeper than your keywords tag. Be polite and say to the client you don't work like this and if s/he does then that's fine but you are not the right SEO company for them.

You really can't stop someone shooting themselves in the foot if they want to but if you help them steady the gun then all will look at you as the guilty party and you will be the ultimate looser!
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks Doodled.

Actually, there is no brother in law, wygk made him up.

As you indicate, spending time with keyword meta tag is a waste of time. My question is whether it is worse than a waste of time as you are telegraphing the website's target and the only ones who will see it are the sites competitors? Albeit, the competitors can probably figure it out but why make it easy for them?
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

My question is whether it is worse than a waste of time
    As long as you don't spam them full of keywords its not going to cause any problem, the only thing the meta keyword tag now does is help alert google of keyword spammers IMO. IE if a site has a mahusive meta keyword list it could flag google to keep an eye on the site as they maybe using spam tactics, other then that, using the meta keyword tag will do nothing good nor nothing bad.

We don't bother to use it and haven't done for some time now like many other seos and webmasters because you are better off spending your time doing something constructive then entering a few keywords in a tag that has no value in this age!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

My question is whether it is worse than a waste of time
    Well we only have so many hours in the day so is there anything worse than a waste of time? By spending time thinking up keywords for each page (depending on the size of site) you are not using that time to do something constructive.

And then it depends how obvious it is - if the site is for a pizza takeaway then the keywords come easy and everyone knows what keywords you are targeting and there aren't many pages. You just make it that little bit easier for the competition to use PPC to outrank you. So you have wasted your time but saved your competitors some time!

But I don't really see where you are going with this. Everyone in this thread has said "don't bother" but you aren't convinced. What is niggling at the back of your mind?
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doodled
    You just make it that little bit easier for the competition to use PPC to outrank you. So you have wasted your time but saved your competitors some time!....
    But I don't really see where you are going with this. Everyone in this thread has said "don't bother" but you aren't convinced. What is niggling at the back of your mind?
    Thanks again Doodled,

I am totally convinced that I should not include them. My question is whether it is detrimental to include them, and your latest post indicated that it might be. I will not spend any more time populating them than I do to pick my nose!