1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Should I delete my News section post panda?

We were hit badly last year by Panda and are hoping for a bump up this Nov as we have changed lots of our listing pages with unique well written content and got rid of surplus listing pages. Clearing up errors, speeding up site etc..

The one thing I don't know what to do with is our news pages.. so here is the situation.

We are a property company that has 1000's of listings for our properties. We have been writing news articles about the industry every day/other day for 4 years. So we have about 1,500 news articles. The articles are written well although there is some questionable internal linking where we are anchoring certain words to results pages.
    Alot of them are not overly interesting,.. some just report on industry transactions.

Our news pages dont perform well in that when someone lands on the page, they wouldnt necessarily do a property search as they were just reading about the news article. So you could argue it makes our bounce rate higher although not time on site as reading an article could be 4 or so mins, which is our average time on site.
    Although our news is relevant in a way, the property search and news is seperate interests.

I dont know what to do with this section and if amending it will help Panda.

Any ideas?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the News pages are not particularly significant for generating revenue by way of organic search, you can always just disallow the section entirely in the robots.txt file or use noindex attribute in the <head> section. I don't think you need to delete them entirely - you can have pages on a site that have no value for search, but have value for other users (direct, referral, etc). I guess the key question to ask here is what the main goal/objective for having the News pages - who do they serve?
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I recently asked John Mueller in a hangout whether having a large number of old blog posts could be viewed as low quality by the Panda algorithm. His answer was essentially that there wasn't a problem having old posts unless those posts had quality issues. If the majority of your news posts are things that were [mod edit: not] really read or have low user engagement then noindexing is probably the best idea.
    Last edited by GabrielG; Nov 16th, 2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarifying Dr M's intent
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  7. Super Moderator

Panda is basically about junk content, as far as unique value. So if your posts are just paraphrasing other people's reporting, and doing a ho-hum job at that, then it may impact on how Panda treats your site. If they're original, though, I don't see why there'd be a problem?