1. Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Should backlinks be coming soon?

I have a site that has recently gained rankings on some of the keywords I targeted, but I still am not showing any new back links in over 2 months (still sporting the PR0) which leads to these questions:

Has anyone else gained any new backlinks recently?

Will the backlinks even matter? By matter I mean once Google has calculated my new backlinks, should my rankings go up again? Or should the rankings go up first, then the backlinks are calculated?

"Christianity shouldn't be a checkbox religion" -anon
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I also have this problem, i have quite a few sites, who have lots of backlinks (well they will do once google picks them up), but only a few show up in google, and thus my PR is quite low

I even have pages, which have links to my sites, which have been spidered by google, but they don't show up in the backlinks
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

All of the sites where I have worked on backlinks and PR management strategies are moving up in the SERPs over the past several days.

I believe that we are already getting credit for our work in these areas... but google has just not posted the backlinks information or updated our pagerank in the toolbar.

I could be wrong, but would bet big money that this is what is going on.

If I am wrong and a new PR calculation has yet to be factored into our rankings, I will easily be able to pay the bet because my sites will then be flyin' high!
    Last edited by EGOL; Jul 31st, 2003 at 12:19 AM.
  7. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I agree with EGOL every word he says, even the bet ;)
  9. BlackHat SEO Pro ;)

I have seen my back links slowly get updated - still showing the old cache of my site though
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My thoughts exactly EGOL
  13. Contributing User

I have seen no additions to my backlinks since May when I went from 341 to 59. It is staying steady there but if you check AV or ATW, I am linked to a lot of PR 4 sites and higher.
    But my positions improved again a few days ago so no one really knows if that is caused by new backlinks unshown or just Google doing their Thang. LOL
  15. Contributing User

By the way, every other day I change one word in my meta description and Google immediately picks it up and it shows the following day. I have no idea what this means unless Google is committed to a daily update with no real dance as we knew it but rather an occasion change in the backlinks and a change in the serps.
  17. No Profile Picture

I'd agree 90% with Egol on this one. I have proof of "significant" ranking improvements on nearly all of our internal and customer's sites each week. Some sites have doubled their traffic from google without having a pr increase. I believe google is factoring a percentage of the backlinks and pr in currently but not completely.

I believe there will ultimately be an extra helping of ranking increases/decreases when the pr numbers are changed next. It will be similar to the last major shakeup when everyone lost backlinks due to the implementation of new filters. Google salt and peppered the new results into the main index over a period of weeks and I expect that to be akin to the next pr update.
  19. Banned

When?

I know that no one knows, but when will they update the PR calculations?
  21. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Re: When?

Originally posted by seo_with_moobs
    I know that no one knows, but when will they update the PR calculations?
    Most likely it is partially, if not all updated; however for the time being it's only for Googles internal use which IMHO is a wise move.
  23. No Profile Picture

All of the sites that I work on have improved over the last few weeks. google is updating at least once a week sometimes twice and the positions are changing, they even change during the day which I guess used to be the flux thing but now maybe is just part of the index building.
    Now if the sites I am working on are improving in position and the only things I am doing are the same as everyone else namely optimising the pages and getting links then google must be taking into account the newfound links.
    The simplest thing for google to do to probably improve the rankings and make them less easy to manipulate is to remove the ability to work out who you should link to (backlinks) and how important each site is (PR). That doesn't mean to say that google is not using both in its calculation of position but hardly makes it a open style index when everyone knows what the formula uses to calculate.
    Yes its going to make it harder and I have no idea if the index will get better because of it, but they could probably not imagined at the beginning that there would be companies with teams of employees searching for high PR sites and building links, calling themselves SEO's.
    The new google bar has more tools built into it which should help the removal of the only usefull thing the PR panel. PR itself is very overated as far as user experience is concerned and I don't buy the augument that the general searching public use it widely to pick sites. Either the US is very different from here in the UK but outside of this industry NOBODY knows much about how the indexes are built and certainly knows about PR. So it would seem a suitable move by google to remove it publically as the only users are the ones that make money from it (or at least are interested in the whole area).
    Roll on rapidly changing google indexes and maybe the sites which will make it to the top are the relevant ones.