Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Should all my internal links have appropriate anchor text?

I was just looking at the webmasterbrain tool (Prog) and just realized something.

Should all my internal links have appropriate anchor text? How much does that help. Currently hardly any of them have appropriate anchor text. Looked at a couple of competitors and virtually none of them have anchor text internally.

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by earlpearl
    I was just looking at the webmasterbrain tool (Prog) and just realized something.
    Should all my internal links have appropriate anchor text? How much does that help. Currently hardly any of them have appropriate anchor text.
    Dave
    Do you mean you are using a single anchor text for each page?

Originally Posted by earlpearl
    Looked at a couple of competitors and virtually none of them have anchor text internally.
    Dave
    Are your competitors url rank above yours for these "anchor text"?
    Do they have external anchor text?

PR Weaver
  5. Free the SB

Originally Posted by PR Weaver
    Do you mean you are using a single anchor text for each page?

Are your competitors url rank above yours for these "anchor text"?
    Do they have external anchor text?

PR Weaver
    My keywords are something like "red widgets" All of my internal page links have anchor text of "home" rather than red widgets.

For other pages critical anchor text might be "red widgets work" I just have "work" which is way to broad.

Its irrelevant but I looked at a couple of competitor sites through the webmasterbrain "analyze links" tool and noted that they hadn't optimized their internal links for anchor text.

We are across the board high for allinurl, etc.

Will this help if I change all the internal links to reflect appropriate anchor text? Does anybody have an idea how much that does help?

Dave
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

not using the anchor text is like going to a gunfight with your shotgun still in your closet.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Should all my internal links have appropriate anchor text?
    Yes, But bear in mind that your sites internal linking structure should be planned as much to help a surfer navigate through your site as it should to help your SEO so plan your internal anchor text links to be descriptive and helpfull as well as including the keywords for the page they are pointing towards.
  11. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen

Originally Posted by EGOL
    not using the anchor text is like going to a gunfight with your shotgun still in your closet.

I would say that internal anchor text is more of a Deringer ..........and your Shotgun would be your external incoming links
  13. Free the SB

Thanks everyone. I had just noticed this. You are quick and to the point...and whether its a deringer or shotgun it all helps.

Also I'm very aware that first off the links must make sense to visitors.

By the way, if I have more than one set of site links on each page (top and bottom) does gg look at both of them and treat them the same or does it emphasize the ones on top and possibly give no weight to the ones on the bottom.

In all humility, I've learned a lot here but I have a big advantage on a site with the url being the main industry keyword phrase www. keyword-keyword .com. We put up this site in 1997...before google was started. What luck!

Dave
  15. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen

By the way, if I have more than one set of site links on each page (top and bottom) does gg look at both of them and treat them the same or does it emphasize the ones on top and possibly give no weight to the ones on the bottom.
    Thats an interesting point. The SE's place more importance on text the higher up the page it appears so it *could* place more importance on the links that are high in the page, but the downside of that could be that will have a negative effect on the page were the those links are placed as it will push your text further down the page.
  17. Free the SB

Originally Posted by whitey
    Thats an interesting point. The SE's place more importance on text the higher up the page it appears so it *could* place more importance on the links that are high in the page, but the downside of that could be that will have a negative effect on the page were the those links are placed as it will push your text further down the page.
    We rank high across the board for all 3 allin measures. I'm curious if its currently considered irrelevant to have duplicate internal links on the top and bottom of a page, and if gg disregards the links on the bottom of the page.

Dave
  19. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would say that internal anchor text is more of a Deringer ..........and your Shotgun would be your external incoming links
    lol... yep, I agree... but if you have a really big site with lots of high PR pages then the deringer has a lot of stopping power.
  21. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen

lol... yep, I agree... but if you have a really big site with lots of high PR pages then the deringer has a lot of stopping power.
    Ah, in that case a "Pepper-Pot" Deringer maybe ?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I do agree with Egol and Whitey!
    If your external incoming links are coming from related website, with high PR, with your targeted keywords it is even better

PR Weaver
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hey, I want to know where i get a bazooka!
  27. Free the SB

Shoot away dudes! Getting back to the second question, if there are internal links on both the top and bottom of a web page do the links (and anchor text) on the top count for more than the ones on the bottom; and if there are two sets of links on the page, is the second one counted at all?

Dave
  29. No Profile Picture

no, if there are two same links in one page, only one will be counted.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: