1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Setting up a blog

I'm sure this has been discussed a lot, but I haven’t seen anything recently. I am considering starting a relevant blog for my industry and placing a link on each page to my "money" site. Is this considered a good way of obtaining relevant backlinks or can it get me in trouble? Seems quite easy to get some links thrown at the blog by some of these blogging directories.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I set up two basic blogs a few months back, one spammy and one not spammy, they have PR of 2 and 3 (the spammy one being 2) and they count as BL's on all the major SE's. I do not spend any great deal of time on them. The unspammy (is that a word?) one being a hobby blog it gets more attention.

I would not have thought hours developing blogs to increase PR and SERPs postion is a good idea. The blog directories encourage proper blogs and some will not list what they consider to be "advertising" blogs.

Spending time adding good content pages and developing quality themed links manually is the only long term way to build PR (if it still exists) and much more importantly SERPs positioning.

IMHO
    Last edited by mountainmad; Sep 4th, 2004 at 04:56 AM. Reason: grammer wrong
  5. Contributing User

I've done a similar thing and it seems to work fine for me. Create some interesting info in the blog and submit it to the various sites which offer blogs as content to others. Look into RSS feeds and how you can distribute your blog content by using them. You can also create multiple blogs with different bloggers to experiment on which one gives you better distribution and ultimately backlinks.

A few simple tricks I've learnt are to include your keywords in the title of every new blog page you create. Depending on the blog tool, it will also create a URL to that page which includes the title and keywords. Also, don't just include your site URL in the blog - use anchor text instead to improve your rankings for your keywords.

Hope this helps
    Bluesuit
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

maybe im wrong...but i have yet to see any blogs ranked #1 for major keywords????
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Good posts mountainmad and bluesuit.

I just installed a blog as the homepage for one of my sites. The posts show below my "above the fold" content. Extra backlinks, rss, atom, fresh content daily. I am optimistic and I see fresh content in yahoo much faster than for any of my other sites.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've just started a Blogger Blog

On one of my sites a couple of months ago.

I customised the links on the right to link back to my homepage.

I just kinda think it all adds IP's into the mix but have yet to see any benefit from it

After the G Blog Skew (pre Blogger purchase) I think G is demoting blog content ?
  13. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Spaggie
    After the G Blog Skew (pre Blogger purchase) I think G is demoting blog content ?
    And how, exactly, would they do that? From the point of view of a search engine a blog posted on my website is no different than some other content on a web page. And if they did it by penalizing you by linking to blogger.com or some other blogging website people would simply move to the blogs that are hosted by themselves.

G-Man
  15. Contributing User

we all remember this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...cks_thousands/

and the whole baseball debarcle

don't we ?

but I think now we're touching on the cornerstone of all of G's problems ove rthe last 6 months

or am I wrong ?
    Last edited by Spaggie; Sep 4th, 2004 at 11:20 AM.
  17. Contributing User

Just starting a blog - I think blogger blogs will be important now that you can ad adsense. A blog is a nice way to compliment a main site. I am just not sure how to optimize a blog, but I am sure that one day a blog will be in the top serps. It is just a matter of time. Right now a blogger blog is free and when you add adsense to the mix, google has to think there is money in there somewhere, so I think google will pay attention to blogs.
    But then thinking isn't my strong ...............

Vintage Chicks BlogSpotVintage Chicks Clothing and Retro Finds
    Candle Making with Instructions
  19. Contributing User

Like Egol said

G seems to be looking for 'proper' sites blog, CONTENT, rss, other sites linking to you

so that's prolly what you need to give it.

Adsense is the whole thing about whether the media-partners bot introduces the googlebot proper and accelerates ranking.

Common sense says that G should accelerate the ranking process for a site with Adsense on, but tbh I've yet to see any evidence of this myself (puuurlleeeeaaaasse someone prove me wrong !).

It does seem that the onus of the algo is weighted on contextually correct inbounds from different c band IP's using modified anchor text rather than anything else. Running a Blog is a way, for me, of getting that type of inbound, the hard part is doing it as a non recip'ed link.

Like Egol says (he's never wrong) a blog is an excellent way of maintaining a freshness to your site, if nothing else, it can't do any harm.

But also like Egol says, it's impact seems weaker in G than in other search engines.

It's perhaps also worth thinking about how you can generate a popular and thriving bot friendly forum praps

g'luk
    Last edited by Spaggie; Sep 5th, 2004 at 01:42 AM.