1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Session IDs have created 60000 indexed pages

Big Mistake, our coder coded a php shopping cart and instead of removing or hiding the session IDs, they left them on the pages. Technically we have 3000 pages, but because of these unique session IDS, Google has us indexed at 60000 pages.

This was a very very big mistake as these are probably considered major spam or duplicated pages by Google.

If you take one of our products, you will see that it is indexed 10 times with 10 different Sessions.

MSN has indexed us 2 times, once on Jan 1 and took 3000 pages and on June 1 which took another 3000 for a total of 6000 pages when it should have only been 3000.

Yahoo has us indexed only 400 pages so when they see this they must not even come back because they see duplicate pages.

So...this was a major mistake and we are fixing it on Monday by hopefully removing the sessionIDS.

It was a good experience to see how the engines work when it comes to this mistake but obviously has cost us thousands of dollars.

I hope my mistake helps others. I do have one question though.....

Now with them about to be gone, do you thing that when the engines come through the site again, they will eventually see that the SessionIDS are gone and will now see only the true amount of 3000 pages??????

The good news is, for the indexed pages, even though the sessionIDS will be gone, it will not stop visitors from entering the site as they will still work.
  3. aka: jadibones
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Wow. Google has us indexed at 60000 pages? Maybe they are trying to catch up with Yahoo Kidding.

Maybe you should send a message to the Google Engineers.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py

Explain your situation, and maybe they can fix it, or then again, you may never hear back, but its worth a shot.
  5. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Explain your situation, and maybe they can fix it, or then again, you may never hear back, but its worth a shot.
    you need to fix it, not them, its your mistake

are you maybe banned becose of that?