1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

server side includes in index page, good or bad?

hello. has anybody encountered problems using server side includes in their index pages?

when googlebots spider the page, do they just see the include tags (therefore the tags only account for a small amount of bytes)

or

do they take into account the total memory of the server side file.shtml and add this to the index page?

best,
    gerardo
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Re: server side includes in index page, good or bad?

Originally posted by gerardo
    hello. has anybody encountered problems using server side includes in their index pages?

when googlebots spider the page, do they just see the include tags (therefore the tags only account for a small amount of bytes)

or

do they take into account the total memory of the server side file.shtml and add this to the index page?

best,
    gerardo
    Google only sees the html created by the SSI, use the view source option on your browser to see what the bot sees.

Cheers,
    theBear
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

i have multiple SSIs on every page of several sites... no prob... am #1 on many keywords

use this to change PR strategies, list special offers, change sites over from summer to winter keywords... change one file and BAM the PR power of several hundred pages can be redirected against another competitor or a different keyword suite

strip your SSI files down to just a minimum.... many of mine are a single keyword or even part of a keyword... others are a site navigation element
    Last edited by EGOL; Aug 8th, 2003 at 02:27 PM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

thank you theBear for the view source advise. something simple and direct and i did not see it!

thank you EGOL for telling me the possibilities of using SSI. my mind is currently swimming with ideas...

thanks again! :-D

best,
    gerardo
  9. King of da Wackos
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google has no idea your using SSI. It sees exactly the same thing as it would see if it didn't use SSI. The content is INCLUDED in the file on the SERVER SIDE and then comes out the same way as a non SSI file.