1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Server move, with no possibility for .htaccess

A few months ago, I moved a site from a server which only accepted static content (not possible to run scripts, use the .htaccess file, etc...) to a new server which allows dynamic content. The URL stayed the same all the time.

I don't want to use the old site anymore but the links are still in Google so I set up a META refresh to the new url.

This works but Google isn't indexing any files on the new server. Maybe Google considers this redirect spam? But it's the only option I think because it's not possible to use the .htaccess file (301 redirect) or scripts on the old server.

The tool mentioned on this forum made clear the site isn't banned but said "google can't see this site"...

PS : Logs show the Googlebot does visit the site on the new server and I've activited static urls (Mambo content management website)
    Last edited by peter19; Jan 22nd, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by peter19
    A few months ago, I moved a site from a server which only accepted static content (not possible to run scripts, use the .htaccess file, etc...) to a new server which allows dynamic content. The URL stayed the same all the time.

I don't want to use the old site anymore but the links are still in Google so I set up a META refresh to the new url.

This works but Google isn't indexing any files on the new server. Maybe Google considers this redirect spam? But it's the only option I think because it's not possible to use the .htaccess file (301 redirect) or scripts on the old server.

The tool mentioned on this forum made clear the site isn't banned but said "google can't see this site"...

PS : Logs show the Googlebot does visit the site on the new server and I've activited static urls (Mambo content management website)
    Hi Peter,

I don't understand why you did that (unless your site doesn't have a domain name of it's own)!

If you moved your site to a new host you should simply change your dns details at your domain registrant.

If you moved to a new server with your existing host (ie dns is unchanged) your host should "channel" all traffic to your new box... you shouldn't need to do anything.

In either scenario you wouldn't need to use any sort of redirect!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The redirect is only so visitors of the old site have access to the new site. The old site was on the same domain www.xxx.com as the site is now, but was a cloaked page referring to standard webspace included in my internet account. (www.internetprovider.com/xxxx)

The pages in Google are still referring to the old urls (www.internetprovider.com/xxx) though, so that's the reason for the redirect.

The site on the new server is also a completely new website.

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Hi Peter,

I don't understand why you did that (unless your site doesn't have a domain name of it's own)!

If you moved your site to a new host you should simply change your dns details at your domain registrant.

If you moved to a new server with your existing host (ie dns is unchanged) your host should "channel" all traffic to your new box... you shouldn't need to do anything.

In either scenario you wouldn't need to use any sort of redirect!