1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

SERPs vanish after few days

Not sure what is going on here, need some help. When I have built pages I submit them to google webmaster to be crawled. They usually rank on page 1 or 2 within hours. When I check a few days later they cannot be found, from page one to nowhere! My domain only has a DA of 1 as it is new, could that be the reason? but then again why would they put the web page in the top 10 if that was the case?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Waynepatt58,
    For a new site and new pages I believe this is the "normal" Google pattern.

G. indexes new pages very quickly but then seems to quarantine them while it checks they are genuine and not some new SE spam activity.

It's not clear how long you may see this issue for your new site - perhaps 6 weeks(?). It should be temporary problem that all sites go through.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Hi Waynepatt58,
    For a new site and new pages I believe this is the "normal" Google pattern.

G. indexes new pages very quickly but then seems to quarantine them while it checks they are genuine and not some new SE spam activity.

It's not clear how long you may see this issue for your new site - perhaps 6 weeks(?). It should be temporary problem that all sites go through.
    Will you please explain this "Google Quarantine" and any proof that it exists?
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Will you please explain this "Google Quarantine" and any proof that it exists?
    I have none but I did notice similar patterns. New page ranks high (for a very short time) > Page doesn't show at all > Page shows at its due place (generally lower than its first spot)

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  9. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Pierre Benneton
    I have none but I did notice similar patterns. New page ranks high (for a very short time) > Page doesn't show at all > Page shows at its due place (generally lower than its first spot)
    So you two believe that written in Google's algorithm is a line of code that requires new sites to rank for a couple days, then not? you're seeing personalized results guys, get real
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Oct 15th, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
  11. SeoRaptor

So you two believe that written in Google's algorithm is a line of code that requires new sites to rank for a couple days, then not?

Did I ever say something like this? Don't you think I'm not able to understand what personalised results are?

May be I should have said that I noticed such a behaviour for a client's website not as a general pattern and not for a couple of days but for a few hours.
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Oct 15th, 2017 at 06:14 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

KP,
    Like Pierre, I first came across this empirically, some years ago.

It is more obvious if you do "site searches" then click through to G's cached pages.

G seems to index a bunch of new site pages but a few days later all but the Home page generate 404, file not found errors. After a period of time, the 404 errors are automatically lifted from the internal pages and ranking becomes stable.

This seems much, more likely to be a G index processing issue rather than anything to do with the ranking algo, don't you think?

If you don't like the term "quarantine" for the G. process, feel free to create your own description for it.

This is not a new issue. It seems to be the same question behind the SEO Chat post of May 2009.

Google Cache Problem - Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

See comment from Pennywise711
    "The only fix is, w8 a few weeks, ..."

You can also search in Google's Search Console Help and find many requests to explain the same phenomenon.

A recent John Mueller (Google) video answers the question...

Feb 2017: Google Fast Track Indexing Vs. Normal Indexing

"Google's John Mueller in a video hangout last Friday at the 1:04 mark into the video addressed the common question of why does a page or URL show up in Google's index for a couple days or so and then drop out, especially new URLs that were not indexed yet by Google."

(Mueller) "This is a common behavior seen for years and years, where new sites and pages would be indexed quickly and then drop out and come back into the index at a later date."

KP, Any reason why this is all new to you?

I'm surprised an experienced SEO is not aware of the issue. I'm more surprised to see them jump to the conclusion that the answer involves the ranking algo, rather than G's indexing process.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 16th, 2017 at 04:57 AM.
  15. SEO Since 97

I believe it's an additional or form of a personal search meaning you are
    continuning to work on said site, then you launch it, your the only one with that url in your browser history and for a very short time you see excellent results, then it's gone.
    That's personal results IMHO.
  17. Contributing User

This just sounds like the whole Google Sandbox debate again.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry, Guys,
    I edited in the Feb 2017 Mueller video listed above after some folk had already commented.

Please check it out for what seems to be the latest G info on what used to go by the G "Sandbox" name in SEO discussions.

Mueller seems to be making it clear that this is an indexing issue, not one related to its ranking algo.

BTW, I fail to see how "personalisation" impacts these results. For a start, I always research client's sites with a cleared browser memory. Please explain...?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 16th, 2017 at 04:28 AM.
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Pierre Benneton
    New page ranks high (for a very short time) > Page doesn't show at all > Page shows at its due place (generally lower than its first spot)
    Seen this myself many times but never kept any official stats on it as I never really felt it mattered - only the page's ultimate resting place in the SERPs is important.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : Too true but it seems some SEOs know this.