Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Cove
    2. Any quick cost effective ways to change thousands of descriptions quickly?
    I will join you in saying this is a bit crazy. Physical shops that sell iPads don't have to dream up original content but virtual ones do. Physical shops can all use the same marketing material provided by Apple but virtual ones can't.

We re-write product descriptions in their thousands at the moment because of this but they all have to be done by hand, by native speakers and be original so it's expensive.

In my perfect world I hope Google will drop this requirement for eCommerce sites but for some reason my perfect world doesn't exist yet ...
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Separate websites for a franchise model is actually a red herring. It doesn't work well for many reasons:
    - what you've just said
    - you end up with multiple sites to SEO
    - new franchises are weak because they have new domains

hi doodled,

yeah i hear that. however, if you put those 10 franchisees pages in the single uber site, theyre still gonna be duplicates of each other in essence, so you'd have to try to make them unique from each other, which isnt easy in this case. IMO in this case a user landing on an internal page has less confidence, because the page would be more orientated towards a service that AREA written out in a "strange" seo way rather than just hitting a home page thats giving the imapct of the service and area. but thats just me.

I have offered both solutions to franchisors in the past, ie sep sites or sep pages in 1 site, they have always gone for sep sites, and actually insisted on it despite all pros and cons being explained. Depending on what that business is, sometimes you just need sep sites - would be good if there was google tool to confirm your site is a legit duplicate and why.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Right now I see the concept. We have franksrealestate.com and bobsrealestate.com. They both list the properties provided by the franchisee in a hope to get a cut of enquiries that lead to a sale.

So here is my solution ... you're not going to like it! Turn the business down.

Of course it's duplicate content and the more the franchisee insists on the websites looking the same the more it will be seen as duplicate content. As has been said before the franchisee must let this go and let the franchiser create original websites with original content about the property market or it just isn't going to work.

Because this is the scam many agents/realtors used to use. Create 6 websites with the same properties and hope to dominate the top 10 for certain keywords.

Frankly if I've understood you right the whole set up is a bit of a scam, sort of like the way Clickbank presents itself - create a website, drive traffic to it and earn bundles. Hence I wouldn't be wanting to have my company's name involved.

Why not just one optimised property site that works worldwide. I actually don't understand the need for franchises. Am I missing something?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    So here is my solution ... you're not going to like it! Turn the business down.
    lol cheers doodled. yeah you've pretty much got it, luckily it didnt really didnt get off the ground but there was no scam intended as far as i was aware.Howvere it did bring this scenario to the forefront for me of what the best way to go was. Finally, a long time later, and thanks to you guys im having my thoughts confirmed on the best way to go. If there are sep sites they defo need to be different to each to other as far as pos, but i think the killer blow is that if you use a single site the latest franchisee to be added to it could/should get much quicker ranking than a new domain.

Ive now thought about what you and josh said about content being stolen and better ranking achieved by the thief, still a bit shocked but doesnt this just prove that google has duplication all wrong, or isnt able to decide what is and what isnt duplication ?

im threatening to code a brand new search engine and i might call it doodle. ;-)
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: