1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Selecting Country in Google Search Console

Hi,

I just want to clarify something. I have a client with a Italian Website and a English Website.

The websites are

www. mywebsite.com - Italian
    www. mywebsite.com/en - English

Do i in search console add both and verify, as they are controlled by two different Wordpress installations.

And point the Italian on for Italy and the English one for all other countries just leave as is?

The reason I ask is because I don't think I can target multiple countries ( in this instance all English Speaking countries) with one website?

And so by targeting Italy with the Italian website it will differentiate the this from the English site?
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello!

Google's help topics about this kind of stuff are pretty good:

Multi-regional and multilingual sites: https://support.google.com/webmaster...r/182192?hl=en
    International Targeting: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/62399?hl=en

And so by targeting Italy with the Italian website it will differentiate the this from the English site?
    Looks like you've got one site, not two, but you're using subdirectories to separate the languages. This article is a little older, but along with Google's help topics it could be helpful in looking at your options: https://www.semrush.com/blog/how-to-...ite-structure/ I'm sure other forum members will have better advice.

Those resources should help you figure out what your options are and how to set them up.

Originally Posted by wood1e2
    The reason I ask is because I don't think I can target multiple countries ( in this instance all English Speaking countries) with one website?
    You can, but not with Search Console. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll probably want to leave the International Targeting option alone. .com websites are considered "international" by default by Google. So if you're going to be targeting multiple countries or languages they're usually the best way to go I think. Once you set up international targeting, you might show up well in the country you picked but could lose a lot of international visibility.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi

Thanks for that, I have read these and I am still no further forward.

Logically it seems that

1) I should point an Italian website at the 'Italian' location.

2) but should I leave the English version to let Google work out what website this is?

As I cannot point it towards all 'English' language countries and I don't want to limit the English website.

Also there are actually two websites, for some reason the previous developer thought it best to set up two WP installations one for Italian and one for English! They are not big sites so no point changing this...at the moment.