1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Search Volume Inaccuracies in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool

I have been doing some research in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool and I'm finding some troubling results for traffic estimates..

My company owns a website that has appeared on page 1 of Google for the phrase "internet marketing" for years. For the month of August, the GAKT estimated 110,000 in the Search Volume column (on exact match). However, our websites only received about 3,000 visits from the phrase "internet marketing."

We are right at the top of the SERPs. I can't possibly imagine that only 2.5%-3% of people actually clicked our listing, which is always between position 1 and 3.

Can anyone offer an answer on why the estimate appears to be so much higher than the actual traffic?

I find that many other websites that I run receive traffic that is very close to what Google estimates for traffic on exact match.

Can anyone offer me an answer on what's going on here?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Adwords Keyword Tool does not always give you the exact figures. If they will, then people can reverse engineer their algorithm and make some ways to go around this. But the figures are just estimates.
    Find a way to track the number of unique traffic going to your site. There are a lot of softwares available in the net which could help you on this.
    Being on top of the list does not mean people will click on your site.
    People usually visit other sites through links coming from other reputable sites too.
    Do not depend much on search engines to get traffic.
  5. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

i think that's why its called estimate and not exact result.. and i think the result are base on the number of people search for it not the number of clicks..

Comments on this post

• Zagek agrees
    • distinctseo agrees : duh
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Whilst it is considered an estimate, and should be treated as exactly that there is the following to consider...

It is expected that around 40% of searches will go to the 1st results and between 20 - 10% going to the second results.

This is still a way off from your values.

Now, was it global or local search volume you looked at?

You may only rank well in the UK or in the US so you will only get a percentage of a local search market, not the global search market.

A third problem could be the conversion ability of your page. You may actually have a low click through rate for your Title and description. You can use Google website optimiser to tweak this.

Looking analytically at the SERP can help a lot.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Whilst it is considered an estimate, and should be treated as exactly that there is the following to consider...

It is expected that around 40% of searches will go to the 1st results and between 20 - 10% going to the second results.
    If your basing those numbers on the data created from AOL released figures a few years ago its too high. Most people who created hard stats from that screwed up the math and the generally accepted figures are way out.

They made the assumption that 100% of searchers click on a natural placements, and didnt distinguish between total clicks and total searchers.

About 40% of searchers dont click on a natural search position, they either go to paid adds, refine there search, or wander of and go and do something less boring instead.

40% of clickers may go to position 1, 22.5% of searchers go to positon 1. and its about 12.5% of searchers for position two. These are much more accurate stats.

So at best expect 1/5th of google estimation traffic.
  11. Content is King?
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you guys have links to studies where these stats are coming from? I'd like to be able to show something like this around the office- everyone talks about percentages, but I haven't seen any hard studies regarding it... links please?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

After looking into this further I found the following in the Google Documentation.

Our global search network includes Google Maps, Google Product Search and Google Groups along with entities such as Virgin Media and Amazon.com.
    Ask.com is another one not mentioned on that list.

So the traffic volume estimates given in the Google Keyword Tool are for the entire search network, which includes far more than just searches on Google. This would be one reason for the numbers to seem highly inflated.

But even if only half of the estimated 110,000 searches were done in Google, we're still only getting 3,000 clicks from presumably 55,000 searches. That's still only a 5.45% CTR.

And to answer your questions, our site ranks on page 1 for all the english speaking Google search engines.