1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Search Engine problem

Well I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with 24-7vacations(dot)com for a long time now and I finally came across an article that was helpful at:
    http://www(dot)jimboykin(dot)com/what-a-links-page-should-not-look-like/

It says that google and other search engines completely disregard pages that it considers "links" pages as it thinks it's just websites exchange links and when we redesigned our website to make it more user friendly we got rid of the detailed links and put them all one page. The detailed had a description, link and a phone number. The users have liked the new site a lot but our search traffic went to almost nothing and I did everything I could do to get it back and it never did. After reading this article it seems like what I might have done with this redesign is make all my pages "links" pages which wasn't my intention, so I was wondering if I went back to a format where the links are only on the detailed if the search engines will like the page better.

and example of what it looks like is at
    http://www(dot)24-7vacations(dot)com/FreeTravelBrochures/Southeast/

An example of what the list and detailed pages would like like would be something similar to this:
    http://www(dot)ghtravel(dot)com/r5/cob_page(dot)asp?category_code=pacific

My questions:
    Is there such thing as a links penalty?
    If there is how can I make it so google doesn't think my site is? (this isn't the main purpose of the site)

Please any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. We have 640 links all related to travel and free stuff and we can't even get the #1 slot for our domain.
  3. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The problem is not the linking, actually the links on your pages are great, because are not the usual link pages and are relevant. But be aware from duplicating issues, because I have seen some texts are pretty similar to some others (not from your site).

Your problem is poor content and not enough quality backlinks.

You are trying to compete with 160.000.000 sites for a keyword "free travel guides" with 40 pages and 640 backlinks!!!

Write more content, gain more backlinks!

Also, I recognized that you recently went through domain name change. There is a redirect from www.abuly.com to the recent domain. Google still shows up the old domain, so wait till the change ends. I just hope you didn't do too much change on the new domain, because that can be a problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually I didn't go through a domain name change that was just a domain that was sitting around doing nothing so I thought I'd point it to 24-7 as an alias. I forgot to put a 301 redirect on it though, but I did do that earlier today. 24-7 has been around sense 2003.

Also we had the same content before the redesign, it was just spread out over more pages. ie a 100 pages instead of 5 and we were ranking a lot better. We even had less content.

Here's the old design
    This is what the old region pages looked like:
    http://web.archive(dot)org/web/20060103000825/www.24-7vacations(dot)com/searchresults.php?searchcat=2&searchstate=TX

This is the home page
    http://web.archive(dot)org/web/20060114125415/http://www.24-7vacations(dot)com/
    Last edited by neque; Apr 12th, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I"m sorry to double post but can anybody else answer my question? Currently we have to pay for every user that comes to our site, and it's kind of frustrating that we can't get any organic referals. I've waited nearly 9 months and nothing has changed.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by neque
    I"m sorry to double post but can anybody else answer my question? Currently we have to pay for every user that comes to our site, and it's kind of frustrating that we can't get any organic referals. I've waited nearly 9 months and nothing has changed.
    Just briefly some comments

1) your title "FREE Travel Guides and Tourism Information" I would not think any one types "free travel guides" into a search engine. You need to think more about what you are targeting ie "Holidays in USA" "Travel information for America" etc

2) You page has no text content. Add some wriiten content to you home page including key terms you are targetting. names of states, driving holiddays in americas, camping holidays in USA etc.

3) Maybee create some targeted landing pages for different types of holidays.

4) Pay some content writters or write your self some great articles about the most holidayed locations in USA ie the new sky bridge for gran canyon and submiit to sites like digg and delicius etc.

5) Build qulaity links

As it stands i cannot see why you think that this site will rank well. If I typed holdys in alaska information. Why would you site come up.

anyway best of luck
    Live the moment
  11. seo ranter

when you went through your design change and your page consolidation, did you keep the same page names and if you didn't, did you do 310 redirects to all the new page names?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I see a LOT of repetition in the titles across the site. As deep as I searched, all contain much of the exact same thing.
    The good news is, you're #1 on G for "Goodhousekeeping Travel" and #27 for the WORD "Goodhousekeeping".
    I mean, if you're touting Goodhousekeeping, you're on the right track. If you're promoting travel and vacations, you've got much work to do.

I'd use more keyword-rich anchor text in your links.
    ie: Across the top of your index page, you simply state vague geographical compass points, like: "Midwest" or "South".. why not say "Sights to see in the Midwest" or something to that effect.

Expanding on that...
    If I click on say, "Midwest", it takes me to a page rich in content...about the "Northwest". I'm from the midwest, and I don't recall Seattle, WA being part of it.
    Ok, wait. There's a refresh thing going on, as everytime the page reloads, the "South" is now there.. now the NorthEast. I don't get it. The largest component of potential content is not even relevent to the page (read title) nor is it readable by search engines.
    Run your pages through a spider simulator so you can see what the spiders are seeing. It's not what is displayed.

From a keyword/phrase standpoint, "Springfield" (springfield what?) doesn't tell me anything about vacationing, what's there or why I'd want to go. I would work on anchoring the link text...you can get it much richer.
    For example: Does anyone really know that Abraham Lincoln was buried in Springfield, IL? Utilize that info in your link text, rather than simply "Springfield".

I like the looks of the site and how it navigates. Just needs a bit of tweaking and swaying. By the way, once I click in to "Springfield", I get loads of helpful information and truly unique content. Again, fix title, though
  15. Contributing User

- before you speak about links:
    * get your page more specific
    -* start your title with your keyowords
    * start your metatag description with your keywords.
    * to rank well get MORE LINKS WITH YOUR ANCHOR TEXT.
    * add your web site to your niche directory "travel"
    * write a free ebook and offer it to others web site.
    *posting forums.
    * article marketing will help you.