1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO Strategy Question

I run an ecommerce site that is not ranking very well at all for the keywords I am targeting. I think this may be down to the fact that the site is massive and very heavy on the code.

In desperation I launched a light wordpress blog and posted each product as an individual post there. The wordpress blog posts rank now which is kind of good. Now I am concerned that my main site will never rank and the user will get a sub optimal experience by just seeing a snippet of the functionality we can offer them on the main site.

I am thinking of stopping to post products on the wordpress blog and cleaning up metatags on the main site.
    Can anyone offer any advice?
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Forget about meta tags, just don't KW stuff. If you have the same product descriptions as other sites you will need to fix this and create 100% unique text for each item.

Yes, I know it's a lot of work, no there isn't any work around.

Google "matt cutts canonical tag" and watch the videos, see if this applies to you, fix if necessary.

That's all I can tell you without seeing the site, but these are the most common problems I see with ecommerce sites.

Comments on this post

• imlearner agrees
    • MonkSEO agrees
    • tstolber agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

how is the content on the original 'massive' site? was it duplicate content? A lot of amateur ebusiness people think that still having 3000 SKU's is a good thing. Those days are long gone, now it is better to have 10 products with 300 links going back to each of those 10 product pages than the other way around. I would focus on having less products, 100% unique product descriptions and product titles, good on-page seo with LSI keywords sprinkled throughout, and then focus on building links back to those nicely optimized pages. Hope that helps!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

There are two approaches you can take at this one.
    a) You already know your ecommerce site is code heavy - so work on that platform to clean up the code, make it search engine and user friendly, optimize conversion paths and focus all SEO efforts on to this one. of course, as mentioned by the other members, ensure that you have unique content for all the products

b) You mentioned your WordPress site is ranking well. I must say WP can also be used to establish e-commerce site. There are plugins for this but to do a better job you will probably need some one who has solid understanding of PHP as well as WP, so he can use a mix of plugins +custom coding to turn your WP blog into a full fledged money making e-commerce website. Also , it is important that your coder understands the basics of SEO , so as not to mess up the existing good results on the site.

Another temporary measure that you might consider doing ( also, do it if you are going with option (A)..
    Create a theme for your WP blog that completely matches your e-commerce site. Generate custom links to your shopping cart for each product ( if possible) and use them in the WordPress site for your buy now button. That way when a user lands up on your WP site and proceeds into the conversion funnel - he will experience a minimum jerk and the chances of conversion would be relatively higher than what you have now. I must mention this is however, not a long term strategy and is more like a "better than nothing" option.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

I deleted quite a few posts in this thread - hopefully nothing that was beneficial (though I highly doubt it).

KP is rather spot-on.

But I'd have to ask why creating a new site was even an idea in the first place? What is wrong with the code that you couldn't clean it up?

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I think this may be down to the fact that the site is massive and very heavy on the code.
    The code has to be very bad for it to cause you a problem in ranking. If its just bloated and sloppy it probably won't cause you a rankings problem.

I also echo the sentiments of why consider a new site at all?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Search for duplicate contents on your e-commerce website and fix them.

If you have several versions of the same page you can use the "rel canonical" tag.
    If you have 2 url with similar content then you have to choose your main URL and make that one the canonical version.

On the other page you have to assign the rel canonical tag, which will tell Google which one of "official" URL for that content is.

an example for "canonical" implementation

<link rel="canonical" href="#"/>

* Use unique title tags and meta tags for each product page.
    * do you have a sitemap ?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your each description of the product should be differ, fix the alt-tag on images so google can index products photos on SE.Try to avoid flash banner,doorway pages and other heavy stuff.Keep your site user friendly,these ingredients can bring your pages up on Search Engine.