Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO for a small business

Following the Google Panda update, just wondered what people think small businesses who may be doing the SEO themselves should concentrate their SEO efforts on?

Be it linkbuilding, Social Media, etc?

Me I am curious and after some guidance!
    Last edited by manbun; Jun 29th, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelt wrong! lol
  3. No Profile Picture
    J B
    Contributing User

My advice would be to carry on with the core principles of SEO. Start off with good on-site optimization and then start a good off-site link building strategy. Stay within the rules of Google and you won't go far wrong. The Panda update was designed to effect low-quality sites, so as long as you don't fall into that trap you should (hopefully) be okay
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by manbun
    Following the Google Panda update, just wondered what people think small businesses who may be doing the SEO themselves should concentrate their SEO efforts on?

They should concentrate their efforts on finding an SEO that knows his stuff that will work within their budget, then get to the business of running their business

Comments on this post

• freeflyer agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

@manbun - I agree with the previous posters. If you've been creating unique content and building links from a variety of sources you've really got nothing to worry about. Panda doesn't change the basics of SEO at all. Keep on keepen on.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Perform Article Syndication to the best and most trusted article directories, right now EZA is still still has the highest PR.
    There is also Internal linking and ROR Sitemaps.
    Of course don't forget the great value of good and unique content and then more of that...
  11. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

High quality, unique content.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Me I am curious and after some guidance!
    If you dont want to hire an seo your first step should be to either teach yourself seo on some test sites or even better hire a professional seo to teach you how to seo your own site, yes thats right learn it if its a business site as thats your lively hood that you could be making or breaking!

Then once you know what you doing you can crack on with seo for your site the right way!

But if you ask me the key to is to keep writing quality content thats relevant to your site and readers/visitors and build links as well as keeping up with social networking such as facebook and twitter, so to share your new found information and content on the internet highway!
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi,

its got to be high quality, unique content and high PR backlinks.

Rich
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Concentrate on giving people something to talk about.
  19. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

it is obvious that the business owners better know their business than other. If they write on various aspect of their business, optimize that write ups and post them on the site, blog sections, I think after span of time the blog will look like content hub that is full of quality content and keywords. If they do social media for this hub can do job. Proper execution of this strategy can outrank many long tails without any extra efforts. IMHO this is ideal for small business.
  21. No Profile Picture

You should still follow the basic and back bone of SEO.. but i have a client once.. he just wanted me to use social media and nothing else.. well I tell you, we got a good google ranking and traffic. we also gain good PR and Alexa Ranking.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : lies
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Many times the small guy can do a lot better than the 50+ site companies, for their ONE site. If you are in a niche. That doesn't mean queries of 500K plus per month.

You should be taking extra time to get better, whether be knowledge, usability, predicting what the consumer wants, etc.

Nobody is going to work harder for you than you do. If you dont have the budget to hire someone, learn yourself. If you do, make sure you learn from them.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Specifically talking about Panda update, Quality content and Quality backlinks is the key.

Social media optimization is need of every website, since Google is now considering social media reputation of websites while assign rankings.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by C.Rebecca
    Specifically talking about Panda update, Quality content and Quality backlinks is the key.
    It always has been.

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Panda update changed the way SEO should be performed.

All it did was give more evidence of the reasons to stop peddling crap.
  29. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    It always has been.

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Panda update changed the way SEO should be performed.

All it did was give more evidence of the reasons to stop peddling crap.
    The reason people are going crazy over this is because it was the last weeks whiteboard Friday post. The title was something like "Panda Changes EVERYTHING" or something crazy like that which I felt was misleading. It was link bait and now ALL of my clients who have watched it are worried and questioning everything.

Long story short, if you developed, designed, marketed and promoted a site the CORRECT way, not only for SEO but for your end user - you have nothing to worry about IMHO.

The rest is just BS, Panda was an ADDITION to the algo, not a recompiled or regenerated algo. It simply ADDS aspects into the formula, which, as stated above, should have been done from the start, even WITHOUT SEO in mind.
    Last edited by joshz; Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: