1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO research on minimum pixel size for image SEO?

So far I don't see any research anywhere on the internet pertaining to this issue - I'm hoping the experts can help.

During a recent chat with a client, the question was raised if Google ignores the SEO backlink (alt tag) value for images under a certain size (pixel dimensions). We don't want to go super small, like 5x5 or 1x1, as obviously that's an obvious attempt to spam the search engine and will probably result in penalty.

At the same time, we want to go as small as we can with an image to retain full SEO link juice. Has someone already done this type of research? Is there a minimum recommended image size to stick with when doing alt tag backlinks with images?

Thanks!
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Check out www.paintadot.com.
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Yes the minimal size is one that your visitor can see well and make sense for the image! Don't try to manipulate the search engines with links on small images as it will just end up doing more bad then good for your site.

Sites like paintadot.com are not good to be on Dr.Marie there was a topic about sites like that not long ago I think (I'm sure you was in on the convo?), but yer no good for SEO as its just a link farm IMHO

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : yes, i recall this thread as well.. somebody wanted to use it for a backlink theme
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Oh, I know that it's not a good idea for SEO...perhaps I should have said that in my answer.

The OP was asking how small they could go and still have Google recognize it as a backlink. If paintadot can offer links for 1 pixel dots then it makes sense that Google recognizes those.

But it is true...any attempt to trick Google is a bad idea!
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

I didnt think you would see it as a good idea Doc, just thought I would mention it to be sure that the OP and other newbies to SEO know its not a good idea as you only posted a link to the site without saying why and not to use it

But anyway OP whats your reason for wanting to know how small an image can be for a link anyway? You really shouldnt be making such small images that people cant see what they are as its just not user friendly and if used like the above will be bad for your site
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First let me clarify that I am not a newbie to SEO. The reason for my post is that there's is no data anywhere on the internet that answers my question. It seems logical to me that Google would have placed some kind of filter in place to weed out people trying to trick the engine by using 1x1, 5x5, or other super small images for SEO stuffing. What is the lowest someone should go with image dimensions before it's considered an attempt to trick the engines?

I have a client that has about 2,500 images distributed around the internet on different pages with their website logo and links pointing back to their website. This is distributed dynamically via script. We are updating the logo with ALT tags to further enhance the effectiveness of all the backlinks.

However, some people have complained about the size of the logo. The client is hoping to make the logo as small as possible without disrupting the SEO benefit. They don't care if anyone clicks the logo, they are more interested in the benefit of the backlinks. I don't want to put up a super-tiny image just to have it considered a violation of TOS or somehow get the site penalized.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : i've never tested it, try it and report results
  13. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I would think that if it is too small for people to read then it would be considered manipulative. I doubt that there are published guidelines on what size is acceptable though.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is not something restricted by Google. It's just immoral and if the big G finds about it, you may get some penalties. However, the logical site to punish is the site who has the images, not the target.
  17. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Sorry I didn't mean to aim the word newbie at you, that's just the word that came to mind to fill in the blank to my sentence lol

Whats the current size of the logo and whats on the image? would you mind posting an example of the image for us? If not just that size and what contents in the image. With that info we could try and advice on the smallest size we would go for such an image.

An example of the smallest logos I can think of would be 88x31px which are generally used on cms such as php nuke http://phpnuke.pagecreationpro.com/ see bottom right of the link.

These are an ideal size IMO for a sites logo but as I said it depends on whats in the image. For example if your image was just two letters side by side you could prob make the image 31x31px but if your image is like the ones on the example link above you couldn't really make it any small without making the image look really poor.

I know you said your client dont care about clicks, its just for the links, but if people keep seeing a poor logo for your client it may give a bad image for there site, which aint what you want really.