1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO redirect. First want to build a blog in subfolder, than webshop in root.

Hello all,

I have a SEO redirect question regarding the building sequence of my site.

First I want to start a blog in subfolder /blog and start building authority and PR for this blog through on- and offline SEO. After a while I want to start a webshop in my root. In the meantime I want to redirect the root to the /blog for the browsers who accidently land on my root but are looking for my blog.

A 301 redirect doesn't seem appropriate here because it's no perm redirect. What seems the best thing to without destroying precious PR value for my site? Or what other issues can I encounter ?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
  3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

What is the problem with having a landing page on the root.
    Index page. Say what you are going to do with the website. Put a prominent link to the Blog area.
    I don't know why you want to redirect the root to the blog folder now.
    But if you must then use a 302 redirect.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think you not looking for redirection your question does not seems that you want redirect your home page as you want to make it web shop. Even 302 is temporary redirection so I also recommend you to go with that till you not start your webshop
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    What is the problem with having a landing page on the root.
    Index page. Say what you are going to do with the website. Put a prominent link to the Blog area.
    I don't know why you want to redirect the root to the blog folder now.
    But if you must then use a 302 redirect.
    Hello NewDelhi,

The idea is that through my blog in my subfolder I can get easier backlinks than through a commercial webshop in my root. So, first I want to gain PR through my blog and after this implement the webshop after I have ranked already for my domain through my blog. Doe this make sense?

So the idea is to open a webshop where I can sell stuff, but in order to rank high I first want to gain rank through a blog, beacause I think this would be an easier route.

Or is there a better way ?

Thanks !
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by vikasbook
    I think you not looking for redirection your question does not seems that you want redirect your home page as you want to make it web shop. Even 302 is temporary redirection so I also recommend you to go with that till you not start your webshop
    Well, I just want to know what to do with the people who land on my homepage if only my /blog is working and my webshop isn't yet. I think because it's easier to request backlinks to my blog first because requesting backlinks for my future webshop is more difficult right? So you think a 302 would be good for let say a couple of months ?
  11. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Amuridge,
    I understand what you are planning. Sounds good to me.
    My only objection is, why do we need to have a Redirect from the HomePage to the Blog Page now.
    Cant the current home page be a simple landing page. It can just have a picture or two lines of message about what the site is about and a prominent link to the blog. You can still promote the blog to gather link and trust.
    If you WANT to redirect the homepage to the blog/subfolder then that is fine too. BUt make sure you use a 302 redirect. NOT a 301.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    Amuridge,
    I understand what you are planning. Sounds good to me.
    My only objection is, why do we need to have a Redirect from the HomePage to the Blog Page now.
    Cant the current home page be a simple landing page. It can just have a picture or two lines of message about what the site is about and a prominent link to the blog. You can still promote the blog to gather link and trust.
    If you WANT to redirect the homepage to the blog/subfolder then that is fine too. BUt make sure you use a 302 redirect. NOT a 301.
    OK, makes sense thank you
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Unless I am missing something, 302 redirect (temporary redirect not 301 permanent redirect) the root to the blog directory.

If anyone visits the root, they will see the blog as you intend in the sub directory.

If anyone links to the root it won't pass any weight to the blog, but when you put your web shop up there, and remove the 302 redirect, the root web shop page will have the weight of the link.

This sounds like the best option given your particular set of circumstances.
  17. No Profile Picture

Test, just a test

Hello. And Bye.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I believe AMURIGE is intended to build backlinks to its Blog site rather than the main website. So in that case once you launch your webshop, I don't think you would get any benefit out of backlink you created for your Blog section. Although you might get some link juice from your blog section to the webshop but i don't see it as a good ploy if you are intended to get high SERP for your webshop.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Unless I am missing something, 302 redirect (temporary redirect not 301 permanent redirect) the root to the blog directory.

If anyone visits the root, they will see the blog as you intend in the sub directory.

If anyone links to the root it won't pass any weight to the blog, but when you put your web shop up there, and remove the 302 redirect, the root web shop page will have the weight of the link.

This sounds like the best option given your particular set of circumstances.
    Yes, that seems the best option for me, thanks.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by grgmathew
    I believe AMURIGE is intended to build backlinks to its Blog site rather than the main website. So in that case once you launch your webshop, I don't think you would get any benefit out of backlink you created for your Blog section. Although you might get some link juice from your blog section to the webshop but i don't see it as a good ploy if you are intended to get high SERP for your webshop.
    I think of it more as beneficial to my webshop, because it enjoys PR from my blog when the webshop opens. So I see it more as a quick boost when I open my shop.

Would you use another strategy (pre-webshop period) ?

Thanks !