Thread: SEO question

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on the following:

I have site www.12345.com this site has loads of content and does very well in Google.

If we added a new feature to the site (Example: Price comparison shopping), so we had www.12345.com/compareprices or something similar, the price comparison pages would have less unique content to the main site. What effect would this have?

I know the price comparison pages would not do as well as they have less unique content but would it have a negative effect on the main pages that are very content rich?

Regards
    Stuart
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Adding the exact content won't help. I'm not sure I understood your question, really.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Lexiseek,

Thanks for the reply. We won't be adding the exact content. We have 300 pages already, all with unique content, we want to expand the site and add something like price comparison shopping as an additional feature for our visitors, the content on the price comparison site is not as unique as all the other pages as it would mainly use content from retailers. My question is, I appreciate that it would be harder to get decent rankings for the new pages as they won't have a great deal of unique content, but we also don't want this to effect the rankings we already have on all our existing pages

Does that help clarify the questions?

Regards
    Stuart
  7. El Gaton
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think that utilizing a price comparison page on your site would help your viewers a great deal, it's a great idea! One solution is making the pages available to your visitors but blocking SE spiders from crawling that page.

however, if you're doing price comparison, why wouldn't the content be relevant?

-D
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi KAMaster,

Thanks for the reply, the content (price comparison) would be relevant to our visitors, just not unique to search engines, most price comparisons have the same prices, descriptions as the retailers they are displaying, normally they don't have unique content, our pricing pages would have this issue but would certainly provide our visitors with relevant information and a good service

What I did not want to happen was lose the rankings we already have on our unique content pages because we start to show dup content on additional pages. by dup content I mean content that is the same or similar to other web sites, not our web site

Thanks again
    Stuart
  11. SEO Gawdess
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

How about putting the comparison shopping stuff on a subdomain? Search engines see them as a different site, but also to bleed some PR thru to them. It shouldn't ruin your relevency rep, and you could link to your main domain.
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

A sub-domain is a good idea, but I think you are "over-estimating" what constitutes "duplicate content" (in terms of a Google penalty)...

If your entire header / footer areas & menulinks are about your site and you add in information which is available elsewhere on the www (eg: prices and descriptions for some products) you are most unlikely to be hit with a duplicate content penalty (unless you are entirely without imagination)!

There's no problem with 2+ sites listing the same information about the same resources/products (otherwise 99% of SE's and directories on the web would get penalised for duplicating information already available in Google)!

Google's D/C penalty is surely aimed at webmasters who copy/steal content belonging to others, and/or create multiple sites with identical content... if you aren't doing either of these you are most unlikely to be penalised for duplicate content imho.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : yup - the more copies the more risk. 1 copy of an original can easily survive by having more link generations between them. So long as something is original (that could be just links) it works... just don't believe you can repeat often.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  15. No Profile Picture

I had a similar issue. The pages for the comparisons were put into the Supplimental index, but I don't think the rest of the site suffered.

I have now varied the titles and metas on these comparison pages to include a few keywords about the products being compared. I am waiting to see if that will move them out of the sups.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help in answering my questions. I am now confident that adding the new feature and pages to our site will not effect the results of existing pages.

Thanks again

Stuart