Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

For SEO purposes is there a best way to add an article a day to a website?

So I'm brand new to the whole website thing but I've gotten past the design part, have a domain, hosting, etc.

Basically the website is currently set up how I like it, but I also want a daily blog type of page where I can add an article a day. I have no clue if I should just get a WordPress type of thing added to the site, or if it is better to just edit the html with a new link every time I want to add the daily article link to the home page. I'd be creating a new .html page for the daily article and linking to it in example #2.

Probably a stupid question but any advice would be helpful.
  3. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

As far as CMS choice is concerned go with wordpress. It will save you a hell lot of time as you progress.

Now coming to the frequency of articles you want to post. There is no such guideline. While it definitely helps in faster crawling of your website if the Google Bot finds more new content every time it comes to your site, it is not necessary that it will help you rank better.
    So post whenever you have time and material to post. Make sure the post adds value to the site and to the internet as a whole. Stick to a quality standard than a time standard.

Lastly .html pages are not necessary. Any stupid format will do. Flat urls are more popular these days. Like domain.com/blog/page-name/

Comments on this post

• Dice79 agrees : Yes Go with Wordpress, very easy to use and a Billion Extensions for it.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  5. No Profile Picture

Article submission is ok but forum posting also necessary.

Comments on this post

• realityhack : Off topic and wrong
  7. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by NewDelhiSEO
    As far as CMS choice is concerned go with wordpress. It will save you a hell lot of time as you progress.
    If you use worpress make sure it is not installed as a subdomain
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Also make sure Wordpress is configured to allow Search Engines to index. This can be marked as off by default sometimes.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : good call Josh
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks everyone!!!

I fear this is not the last time you will hear from me.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Would blog.domainname.com be considered a subdomain? Also we initially set ours up as hosted by wordpress (wordpress.com) but have since learned the limitations of that method. We are thinking about hosting it ourselves and going to the wordpress.org method so we can use more of the wordpress functionalities such as social tagging. Does anyone know if that is pretty easy to do and if all our old posts can just be transferred over.
  15. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by Bigkurty
    Would blog.domainname.com be considered a subdomain?
    Yes, it's a subdomain.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Then why is the subdomain bad exactly? And is there a better recommended way? Our pages our all getting crawled in our blog as is.
  19. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by Bigkurty
    Then why is the subdomain bad exactly? And is there a better recommended way? Our pages our all getting crawled in our blog as is.
    Google treats subdomains as their own site; thus it cannot 'piggy back' off of your main site.

Having /blog allows the authority and trust from your main domain to trickle down to your blog.

It makes ranking easier and less automated. More natural.

Subdomain would be great for an off topic subject or country specific locations perhaps, or user profiles/sites that do not want to have affiliate directly with said domain.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ahhh, that makes sense. So we should be able to switch that over when we do the wordpress.org/our servers hosting it switch and just 301 redirect all the posts and the blog itself over it sounds like. Does that sound like it would work and not lose link juice?

Actually I just checked and it looks like wordpress has an export and import function to convert it. I just wonder if you are able to redirect old pages to new ones. hmmm, anyone know?

And thanks Joshz for sharing a little of your knowledge with me.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I am going to have to contradict some of the above posts. Content Posting Consistency does in-fact increase the ranking of a website. I will provide proof per this theory as I progress below. You see, the more you update your website with content, the more you add things that need adding. Things such as outbound links increase SEO ranking. The more content you create, the more outbounds you develope. The more content you create, the more internal linking with keywords are developed within your site. The more consistent you write content, the more fresh Google sees your content being. There's tons of SEO benefits to updating your website content regularly.

Gregory Smith
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    If you use worpress make sure it is not installed as a subdomain
    This is a non-issue for SEO Practitioning.
  27. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by joshz
    Google treats subdomains as their own site; thus it cannot 'piggy back' off of your main site.

Having /blog allows the authority and trust from your main domain to trickle down to your blog.

It makes ranking easier and less automated. More natural.

Subdomain would be great for an off topic subject or country specific locations perhaps, or user profiles/sites that do not want to have affiliate directly with said domain.
    Reference: Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Reorganizing internal vs. external backlinks
  29. No Profile Picture

I post an article each week. Article written by copywriter, with original content, real smoothly.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: