1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO for a new Spanish Website

Hi Guys,
    I just launched a Spanish website for a new service. I currently have an Adwords campaign running and I'm focusing on social media especially facebook. My question is that I have never done SEO for a foreign language website. Even the research for keywords in Adwords was a struggle. I had to do the research in English and then have the keywords translated by a Spanish speaker which still might not work for people that speak a different dialect.

• Does anyone have any information with your experience how you deal with this?
    • Do links from English site and English posts still pass value to Spanish Site ?
    • Any precautions I need to take. It would be great if you can share some resources.

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You might find this useful, I did So, You Want to Know About Foreign Language SEO? Mozinar Q&A - Moz

I have done some SEO and PPC for the Chilean market. In terms of how many other Chilean websites are out there to build relationships, links etc, they are very few, so inevitably you will have links from US/English written sites. Relevancy is probably the biggest factor here and also location based results. I was conscious that I didn't want Google thinking that because the majority of my links came from the US it was a US site. I bought a cc TLD and had the site hosted in Chile to avoid any problems just in case.
  5. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by fazthegreat
    Any precautions I need to take. It would be great if you can share some resources.
    Yes I have a precaution; <precaution> you can't do SEO unless you know the language </precaution>
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yes I have a precaution; <precaution> you can't do SEO unless you know the language </precaution>
    Thanks for your reply, I understand. So I am going to hire an SEO but is there any steps I can take to atleast start building some links. So e.g if there was a blog post (in English) on an English blog with a link to the spanish site, wouldn't that still help in regards to building authority ?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by elchenuk
    You might find this useful, I did So, You Want to Know About Foreign Language SEO? Mozinar Q&A - Moz

I have done some SEO and PPC for the Chilean market. In terms of how many other Chilean websites are out there to build relationships, links etc, they are very few, so inevitably you will have links from US/English written sites. Relevancy is probably the biggest factor here and also location based results. I was conscious that I didn't want Google thinking that because the majority of my links came from the US it was a US site. I bought a cc TLD and had the site hosted in Chile to avoid any problems just in case.
    Thanks for sharing the post!