1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO and Multiple domain hosting

Hi All,

I have multiple issues I guess.
    I am hosting number of different domains/websites using unlimited Linux hosting package provided by leading hosting service provided.
    My primary domain is say A B C . C O M
    To host any new domains I had to create sub-directory with in the primary directory.

++ My heavily accessed domain would be say X Y Z . C O M which is actually a sub-directory of A B C . C O M
    I have not started any kind of SEO for any of my domain yet as the sites are still being worked on.

What is happening is when I search X Y Z . C O M on Google, it is getting listed at top as a sub-directory of my primary domain and not the actual domain itself.

W W W . A B C . C O M / X Y X

It should have shown W W W . X Y Z . C O M but this is not even listed.

Q1. How can I correct this.

Q2. When searching X Y Z . C O M few inner pages of XYZ are getting listed as W W W . X Y Z . C O M / PAGE1 . H T M L but not the homepage. I have set description and keywords META tags for home page from day1 for this but still home page is not getting listed.

Q3. I have same domain name with other TLD's (X Y Z . N E T, X Y Z . O R G) which should be pointing to XYZ.COM. So what is advisible 301, 302 or masked URL forwarding ?

Any suggestions/help on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by wirelezz
    Q1. How can I correct this.
    by giving lots and lots more information. A url translates into much more response than a xyz.Esp when I already call XYZ water

In the absence of any information I must assume Google is right and the website owner is wrong. This is also a safe bet: Google pointing to the original source of some domain juggling.
    Q2. When searching X Y Z . C O M few inner pages of XYZ are getting listed as W W W . X Y Z . C O M / PAGE1 . H T M L but not the homepage. I have set description and keywords META tags for home page from day1 for this but still home page is not getting listed.
    Description and keyword meta have nothing to do with any of that. Keyword meta is ignored by all but two search engines in the world. Description does nothing for ranking, it can only decrease or increase click throughs.
    Q3. I have same domain name with other TLD's (X Y Z . N E T, X Y Z . O R G) which should be pointing to XYZ.COM. So what is advisible 301, 302 or masked URL forwarding ?
    I'd advise you to get some proper custom consultancy (paid, outsourced, hired, inhouse, from idiots like me on forums). Q2 shows you better not 301, 302(dont really), or put on a mask and forward to slingy paths and roads that lead to a subdirectory on a original domain.

Following these recommendations should increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the search results.
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

You can place a website in a subdirectory of another website but the target folder should be that subdirectory and it should not be able to be accessed by the original website by typing www.rootsite.tld/subsitedirectory/

You should 301 the example above to the actual domain of the subsite. www.rootsite.tld/subsitedirectory/ should be 301 to subsite.tld

There is something wrong with the way they configured it in the first place. Why not just have your root folder as a private folder and place all websites in subdirectories of your private folder. This is essentially how all shared hosting works.
    Last edited by googler; Feb 5th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo