1. SEO at Sea
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO MOZ Keyword Difficulty Tool

Does anyone have any experience using the SEO MOZ KW difficulty tool? I've used the tool a lot and have seen the difficulty % change dramatically from day to day for the same keywords. (Obviously I know that nothing like this is 100% and is supposed to be used as a guide only).

When you are looking at keywords for a site, if you use the tool, where do you personally draw the line? In other words, what difficulty % do you consider not worth your time?

In my experience, a keyword with the score of 45% takes about 9 months to rank well. So, anything with a 50% or higher, I don't even bother with.

Perhaps someone else uses the tool differently. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  3. No Profile Picture

I've also seen a lot of variation in the difficulty score for the same keyword on different days. Since it's based on the authority profiles of sites at the top of the SERPS this should change, but the rate and degree of change seems a little more than just turbulence.

As far as using it to predict how long it will take to rank for something I think it really depends on the domain and page authorities of the sites you are working with. Some keyword difficulties are unassailable by some sites.

I did conduct a study that suggests Google Exact Match Traffic is actually a better indicator of whether an SEO can move a site up the SERPs or not.

Adwords Traffic is a Better Predictor of Keyword Difficulty than SEOMoz

The study suggests that whilst the SEOMoz tool is somewhat effective at predicting whether you'll be able to move SERP rank, it's by no means perfect. You can sometimes move keywords with a high SEOMoz keyword difficulty more easily than those with a low score. So don't rule any targets out.