1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question SEO Linking Questions

Okay, please bear with me, I am new to SEO. I have some burning questions that I would
    appreciate your help.

Is it true that the only thing that matters in a BL is the anchor text?

I thought that G. only showed BL from web sites that are PR4 or above?
    I am seeing several BL from web sites that are less that that?

When G. does a BL update, is this when the G. dance begins or do they have
    no relationship?

What will the BL update do for me if anything?

Does it hurt my PR to link to non-related sites?

I know these are simple questions, but I want to get it right.

Thanks for you help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

No to 'only'. It is the best type of link to get (one with anchor text) but all links to your site count.

Google shows a selection of backlinks to a site. It's not clear how that selection is made. It 'used' to be widely believed that it showed PR4 and above but that is not the case now.

no relationship?
    The 'Google dance' died out last year. It is believed today that Google now updates continually. A backlink update is simply Google showing you a selection of backlinks. Hopefully more backlinks than from the last backlink update but as it's unknown why only a random selection is shown it's not of that much use to you. A more accurate way to determine your backlinks is to run the link: command on the site in Yahoo or AllTheWeb.

I've yet to see it do anything to my sites, but there are people here that suggest their sites jump or drop slightly in rankings a couple of days prior to a backlink update and this jump or drop relates to whether their backlinks jump or drop.

Today? No, I don't think so. But who knows about the future? It is without doubt better for your visitors if you link to related topics so if it's not already built into the Google algo it could be in the future.

Good luck
    Jane
  5. unused title
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Nope, although anchor text is very important for which keywords you rank for. Other things that G takes on board, is the PR of the site that links out, the authority status of the site that links out (not confirmed-although its beginning to look like they take this into account), and the theme of the site linking out. (also not confirmed, but also very likely)

no relationship?

There is no Google Dance anymore, Pr and Backlinks are updated internally on the fly. Google update the visual pr in the toolbar from time to time, also the backlinks that are displayed when doing a link:www.domain.com command.
    Mostly sites over a high PR3 are shown in backlinks, although google does only dish out a small percentage of your overall backlinks.

In my opinion, no.

Hope this helps.
    cheers

edit: hehe, mustve been typing at the same time as Jane!
    You sure are quick off the mark Jane
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You obviously took the time to catch up on the subject. However there are a couple of new insights. In a nutshell:

* Anchor text is one of the main factors to make backlinks more effective. Similar, but less powerful results can be achieved with images - having keywords in the ALT attribute - within <A> tags. It's not the ONLY thing, because there's also the context of the BL, and the number of them on the referring page to take into account.

* G shows a random (but persistent) cross-section of your backlinks when you use the link: command. That's logical because in fact they all count...

* G is dancing (more like shuffling) continuously now. It does that every time it encounters a new backlink, or any other factor that could influence your ranking on the serps. The differences between the different datacenters can cause your ranking to jump up and down for a couple of days. It stabilises as soon as they are all synchronised.

* Public BL update will SHOW an updated set of backlinks in your cross-section. The internal/hidden BL update is happening all the time... Same as PR...

* It does NOT hurt your PR to link out. Only thing is that linking to (and from) unrelated sites can give G a hard time determining the THEME of your site... People are still divided on the effect of that. Try the search related:www.mydomain.com to see what I mean...
    Last edited by Wit; Oct 11th, 2004 at 06:11 AM. Reason: and I thought I could type fast... ;) must have been my coffee break