Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO help with my page

Hi Guys, Newb here.

I was wondering if you could help with my problem. Basicly I have created a site and I was wondering if some could have a look at it and give me some advice to get it higher up on google. This is the page I would like to show on google greenfishdiscounts.co .uk/discounts-cambridge I would like this to show up on google.co.uk when you type in discounts cambridge.

I have tried many ways but can't seem to see it on there.

Any help would be very greatful !

Thanks in advance!
    Lloyd
  3. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hi Lloyd,

Welcome to the forum.

I entered the site into my address bar but got a 404 (Page not found) error. Should the correct URL have been greenfishdiscounts.co.uk/discounts-cambridge.html?

Cheers,
    Rob
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes your right that is the right html.

Lloyd
  7. Banned

There are improvements you could make to the page content but the domain has no backlinks at all. That should be your priority.

Repeating the same text on hundreds of pages and just changing the town name is also not the way to go.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi there what do you mean by back links, sorry i'm abit new to this.

Thanks,
    Lloyd
  11. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk

I would hazard a guess that the biggest disadvantage this page currently has is that it doesn't have any links pointing to it. You should aim to build links pointing to the page using 'cambridge discounts' as the anchor text. One way backlinks are the most effective method you have to get your site ranking. Make sure the links point specifically to this page though, and not just the homepage of the site.

The other thing I would recommend is some slight tinkering with your title element. At the moment you have:

Cambridge Discounts - Discounts Cambridge - Cambridge Special Offers - Cambridge Businesses - No vouchers needed

The repeats you have of the words 'cambridge' and 'discounts' do no gain you any benefit and in fact waste some of the valuable real estate at your disposal. The first 30-40 characters hold the most weight which diminishes from left to right. Try something along the lines of:

Cambridge Discounts & Special Offers | No Vouchers Needed! @ Green Fish Discounts
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your very usefull info. But what is ment by backlinks, are they links which you place on other websites to link to the cambridge discounts page for example?

Lloyd
  15. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk

Originally Posted by lloyd_arsenal
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your very usefull info. But what is ment by backlinks, are they links which you place on other websites to link to the cambridge discounts page for example?

Lloyd
    Yeah, that's exactly it. Backlinks, or IBLs (In Bound Links) are links which reside on another website and point to yours. When link building, you should aim for links from sites which are of a similar theme/topic to yours as Google gives these the most credit.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Robertomac
    Yeah, that's exactly it. Backlinks, or IBLs (In Bound Links) are links which reside on another website and point to yours. When link building, you should aim for links from sites which are of a similar theme/topic to yours as Google gives these the most credit.
    Ok that makes sense....thanks for your help Rob I will now try and get in touch with other sites to see if they would like to swap links.

Thanks again,
    Lloyd
  19. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk

I will now try and get in touch with other sites to see if they would like to swap links.
    Swapping links is called reciprocal linking i.e. I'll link to you if you link to me. It is not a good practice and you should avoid it, if the sole purpose is to gain a link. When linking out to other sites, only do so to sites which will offer your users a benefit.

You should be aiming to get one way backlinks i.e. someone links to your site, but there is no reciprocal link from you to them. These are the ones which will benefit your site the most as far as Google is concerned.

Read the stickies in the link popularity forum for more information.
  21. No Profile Picture

Hi again,

I have now created some backlinks to my site through blogs etc. I am now on page 8 on google under 'cambridge discounts' can someone please advise me on some other things to try and get me nearer the top under cambridge discounts.

Thanks,
    Lloyd
  23. UK Based SEO

Hi again,

I have now created some backlinks to my site through blogs etc. I am now on page 8 on google under 'cambridge discounts' can someone please advise me on some other things to try and get me nearer the top under cambridge discounts.

Thanks,
    Lloyd
    Hi :Lloyd after reading this post and finding out more about your site .

you need lots more links than what your have so far yahoo site explorer is showing me 10 links !

It will require more than that so id continue with trying to get good quality relevant links !

Id also beef up the content on there

your wanting to be found for cambridge discounts im guessing ?

so more content relating to that is required ! To target keywords there has to be something on the site relating to that phrase , i may have missed something on your site i only had a quick glance though so correct me if i missed it !

just a small thing aswell you dont have a 301 redirect on your site

this needs doing too so that you get full credit for links
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by craigseo
    Hi :Lloyd after reading this post and finding out more about your site .

you need lots more links than what your have so far yahoo site explorer is showing me 10 links !

It will require more than that so id continue with trying to get good quality relevant links !

Id also beef up the content on there

your wanting to be found for cambridge discounts im guessing ?

so more content relating to that is required ! To target keywords there has to be something on the site relating to that phrase , i may have missed something on your site i only had a quick glance though so correct me if i missed it !

just a small thing aswell you dont have a 301 redirect on your site

this needs doing too so that you get full credit for links
    Hi Criag,

Many thanks for your response. Your right I do need to beef up the text more to relate to Cambridge Discounts. At the minute I have done all the backlinks to point to my home page....do you think I should focas on them going to the cambridge part of the site? What do you mean by a 301 redirect, how would i go about adding one?

Thanks
  27. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk

1. Which blogs have you built the links on? Are you sure the links you have built are followed?
    2. What anchors have you used?
    3. What page did you target with the links?
    4. How long have the links been live?
  29. UK Based SEO

Hi Criag,

Many thanks for your response. Your right I do need to beef up the text more to relate to Cambridge Discounts. At the minute I have done all the backlinks to point to my home page....do you think I should focas on them going to the cambridge part of the site? What do you mean by a 301 redirect, how would i go about adding one?

Thanks
    Get links pointing to the relevant places on your site also known as deep linking !

concentrate on the content first and making new pages etc to target what you want .

With regards to the 301 redirect issue read this http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93633

That will tell you more about it and how to do it.

Reason for me showing you the link is so u learn , i could have gave you how to do it but link will hopefully give u an insight as to why your doing it!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: